Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008

alaskaboy is on a distinguished road
Some diesel fuel was spilled by a friend of mine and it ran down the inside hull of the boat into the bilge. Time was short before I had to catch a flight. I quickly bought some powder that used to digest oil. I came back a week later and all the diesel was just magically gone. The hull didn't smell like diesel. I had a 5 gal bucket of water with a small amount of diesel in it that I was having a difficult time finding a place to dispose of safely. I powdered it and left it securely on the deck with the lid loose. I checked it several days later and all the diesel was again gone. I really like the stuff because it is so environmentally safe.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2008

jimmyb514 is on a distinguished road
I've had very good luck with 'ZEP 50' a foaming degreaser. We degrease aircraft engines with it and it doesn't affect plastics, wiring, fiberglass etc. Wear glasses and gloves. Spray it on, work it in with a brush, let it sit a bit and rinse it off with water. Even if it dries it rinses right off. If you need contact info let me know.
Old 11-29-2008
wickedrevs56

wickedrevs56 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wickedrevs56
Degreasers continues

As a long time mechanical person i used to use Easy Off oven cleaner (very toxic) until I discovered Super Clean-- you get about two gallons of diluted (one part water/ one part S.C.) product for what two itsy cans of Easy Off costs you-- lately I have also used the Dawn dish soap-- and there too if you geta little in the harbor waters you will only have helped to dilute /break up and get rid of the "oil scum" on the water-- (I live in a "working boat" harbor and there is always a little "sheen" on the water)-- I have used Dawn also to clan up hands, interiors, seats, etc when oil has been the culprit-- I will be glad to let you come and try it out on my currently less than bristol bilge if you would like the practice LOL!!!!
Old 04-23-2009

greentechman is on a distinguished road
How To Clean a Greasy Bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogumwesterly View Post
Does any one have suggestion on how to deal with greasy bilges? or does any one Know the ill effects of steam cleaning fiberglass?
thanks
Hi There, I am a Green Consultant and my boating clients have been using a new product called Oil Gone Easy Marine. You just pour the stuff into the access points of the bilge and it uses bioremediation to literally eat any oil or fuel in your bilge for a few months. It is safe to use on all surfaces and is a green product. Good luck -Greentechman
Old 04-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Greentechman—

I am just curious as to what your relationship to the Oil Gone Easy Marine product is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-23-2009

greentechman is on a distinguished road
I know the company, have tested and reviewed their products. These guys cleaned up the Prestige Oil spill off Spain. The product is recognized by the EPA.
Old 04-23-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
conky joe, that you?
Old 04-24-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
conky joe, that you?
hee hee !!

Now look Mr GreenTechMan,

First up, having had a squizz at it I think the OGE product looks pretty good and quite useful as a bilge cleaner soooooo.....given that you didn't specifically link to a commercial site I'm letting this stand.

I am taking you at your word that you are not in any way benefitting financially from oge...cos if you are that's naughty and we don't like naughty.....not one little bit.....not one teensy weensy little bit....

That you spruik OGE on only your second post is I must admit somewhat suspicious, indeed you may well concede the point yourself, that doubts might be raised.

ergo......

if we were to find out that you were telling us pork pies (how's your ryhming slang ?) we would just have to ban your lying arse.......cast you into the pit as it were.

OK ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Oooh... Fuzzy laid down the law...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
hee hee !!

Now look Mr GreenTechMan,

First up, having had a squizz at it I think the OGE product looks pretty good and quite useful as a bilge cleaner soooooo.....given that you didn't specifically link to a commercial site I'm letting this stand.

I am taking you at your word that you are not in any way benefitting financially from oge...cos if you are that's naughty and we don't like naughty.....not one little bit.....not one teensy weensy little bit....

That you spruik OGE on only your second post is I must admit somewhat suspicious, indeed you may well concede the point yourself, that doubts might be raised.

ergo......

if we were to find out that you were telling us pork pies (how's your ryhming slang ?) we would just have to ban your lying arse.......cast you into the pit as it were.

OK ?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2009

jancy is on a distinguished road
Re: Cleaning nasty greasy bilges?

I cleaned the very greasy bilge of my sailboat with OIL GONE EASY MARINE S-200. Nothing I have ever used before has worked this well. All the foul smell from my boat has complelety vanished. It works by attracting the bacteria to break down the oil, so it also harmless to the environment also.You can read all about it at oilgoneeasy.com