Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-29-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Lifeline attachment alternatives, amsteel lines.

I don't know how old my life lines are, probably original. I wanted to change them out to high tech line and amsteel looked like a pretty reasonable substitute consider the cost, 1/8" is really cheap and strong without the worry of having it chafe over masts exists, blocks, or cleats do you think this is sufficient? Or should it be a larger diameter? I was also going to splice in an extra length of line and attach it with hooks effectively lengthening the lifelines allowing the crew to hike harder. Currently the lines I have in place are way too short to allow "proper" hiking. By adding an additional length of line I could have a tight cruising lifeline 90% of the time, then loosen them quickly for racing w/o needing to screw a turnbuckle.

I was going to splice the 12 strand to the hardware but was having a hard time finding SWL of none boat specific hardware (trying to save some money if possible). Obviously I don't want put my crew's safety at risk, but on a boat that weighs less than 3,000 lbs, hiking plays a huge role when the wind picks up. So I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of attachments to use that'll keep 3-4 healthy boys on the boat while they hang off the side. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-29-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
In the rules your lifelines need to be tight

"When lifelines are required by the class rules or the sailing instructions they shall be taut, and competitors shall not position any part of their torsos outside them, except briefly to perform a necessary task. On boats equipped with upper and lower lifelines of wire, a competitor sitting on the deck facing outboard with his waist inside the lower lifeline may have the upper part of his body outside the upper lifeline."

One advantage of double lines over single,at least in our area is that you are allowed to stick your body in between the lines and sit in more comfort

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 09-29-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008

So I'm just screwed b/c I have one set of life lines. That's interesting that they let you do it with 2 sets but not one. I don't understand their reasoning.
Old 09-29-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
It would not be that big a deal to drill a second set of holes in the stantions and find a way to put eyes on the pulpits

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-30-2008

Very true. Finding rubber grommets for the stanchions wouldn't be that hard either.
Old 09-30-2008

mangomadness is on a distinguished road
Life Line Fittings: CharlestonYachting.com

CSS

I'm going to all cordage when I get the money.

Old 09-30-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"attach it with hooks effectively lengthening the lifelines allowing the crew to hike harder."
Forget single and double, READ THE RULES for your local racing association or whoever sanctions and judges the races you are in. They may be using US national rules, they may be using others. The rules will prescribe what you can do with lifelines AND how much slack is allowed in them. If you try to get clever without reading the rules--someone is going to DSQ you for violating them.

Racing is just like football and poker: You can't win, if you don't know the rules.
Which is fair and proper, and expected in racing.
Old 09-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Which is fair and proper, and expected in racing.
Couldn't disagree with you more. Take auto racing as an example. They regulate the fuel tank size, the racers use 6" diameter filler necks into the tanks. They regulate the filler necks, they coil 200' of fuel line in the car to get them an extra gallon. They try to slow cars down by requiring tread on racing slicks, the racers develop tread that tappers down to nothing as it wears, essentially giving more grip as the race goes on. So now the regulate the tread width, depth, and tapper. Stock car says there must be 500 units available to purchase before its considered for NASCAR. So car manufacturers made 500 purpose built race cars and sold them to the public.

In the end, we all make out by getting better products, coming up with better ideas, and being able to reap the benefits of racers trying to 'bend' the rules. Fair? Hardly, but such is life.

A better definition of "taut" lifelines would be required, but under the current wording, is quite subjective. For example, a lifeline can be really baggy and then kept "taut" with a length of shock cord. Until you lean on it, and get the extra travel you wanted.

Cheating? Nope. Why is catalina able to sell stanchions that have an additional 15* cant to the outside of the boat to allow harder hiking? B/c its within the rules. I seriously doubt there's a PHRF rating hit that deals with single or double lifeline boats and/or boats with aftermarket stanchions. Is there one for light weight halyards? Using cordage instead of wire for mast supports? All things that give you an advantage, certainly not fair.

As far as racing association, I race PHRF on the potomac and chesepeake bay, and they abide by the same rules for the most part. Lots of ways to make the boat go faster w/o changing your handicap, I'm just exploring my options.
Old 09-30-2008

Mango, thanks for your link, but at $70 a pop, I think I'd rather use quick links in stainless for $2 a piece.
Old 09-30-2008

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
“Send lawyers, money and guns!” (How does that song go?) Try not to go too lawyer-ly on this lifeline thing, you will get burned in the end. Taut is taut. Look up lifelines in the case book and you will see the diagrams clearly showing the crew inside of the vertical line of the stanchion. Your “elastic” idea is protest able and one you would lose. You could probably get away with it if you are a “back in the pack” kind of boat, but around here the guys in the front of the pack are pretty savvy so watch out. For me, lifelines are a safety issue as I do a fair amount of ocean racing. I can tell you from personal experience, breaking one is no laughing matter. Vinyl clad does cover up corrosion and potential failures and I would be inclined to replace with bare wire. Amsteel is strong, but it will chafe unlike steel. Besides, the amount of weight savings is small, and I’d spend my time (and money) getting rid of weight aloft rather than weight on the deck. (Heck, not bringing lunch or drinks for the crew will probably save you more weight than Amsteel life lines and it won’t cost you a penny!)