SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Hookah dive rigs (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47587-hookah-dive-rigs.html)

j34035 09-29-2008 10:14 PM

Hookah dive rigs

This past weekend I borrowed a friends BrownieDive 120 volt hookah dive rig to clean the bottom of the boat. It worked really well, and I would like to purchase one, but would like to have one that runs on 12 volts so I can use it away from the dock. Anyone have feedback on what the best unit is out there? Thanks for the help!!
DD

BluewaterBruce 09-29-2008 10:27 PM

Gas Powered engine drive?

trantor12020 09-29-2008 10:36 PM

My friend made one up himself. Get a high pressure inflatable dinghy pump (4-7psi), connect a long flexible plastic conduit (used for wiring) to a snorkle, Tee-off near the snorkle top to another short length of conduit and end with a plastic throttling valve. With this throttling valve, you can adjust the bleed-off pressure slightly so that you won't be over pressure by the pump and yet can throttle in if you go deeper. Do not understand estimate water pressure at 4-8 feet below. The snorkle must have an over-pressure one-way valve. That's your safety device in event you shut the bleed-off too much and pump pressure is coming in. You won't want to puncture your lung. Any decent snorkle should have this feature.
This arrangement is good for cleaning even the keel. Depth is depandant on the pump pressure.
There is always an element of risk, its up to you to manage that.
7 feet of water is approx 3.0 psi

davidpm 09-29-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trantor12020 (Post 377279)
My friend made one up himself. Get a high pressure inflatable dinghy pump

I wonder if there is any issue of lack of filtering of the air?

trantor12020 09-30-2008 12:05 AM

Air filter ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 377324)
I wonder if there is any issue of lack of filtering of the air?

Air filter/quality shouldn't be an issue. The pump is just a 12V pump from WM. If you put it in proper place then air quality is as what you breathe in. The pump would run hot after 10-20 mins. So that's the dive time. It should be enough to get alot cleaning done and have a break every 15mins.

poopdeckpappy 09-30-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j34035 (Post 377257)
but would like to have one that runs on 12 volts so I can use it away from the dock. Anyone have feedback on what the best unit is out there? Thanks for the help!!
DD

Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah breathing regulators and gear. Hooka hose diving breathing systems, compressors, and gear.

This might work also

Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah breathing regulators and gear. Hooka hose diving breathing systems, compressors, and gear.

Fstbttms 09-30-2008 02:04 AM

Also have a look at SeaBreath:

Sea Breathe, The Electric Snorkle

I use an electric hookah every day in my business but have never tried a 12-volt system. For my money they are definitely recreational-level gear and not robust or powerful enough for my needs but for the ocassional hull cleaning or fun dive it might work fine.

sailingdog 09-30-2008 08:02 AM

If you're making one yourself, you really want an oil-less compressor design, as the very fine oil that gets suspended in the air of most air compressors is really bad for your lungs. :) You also want a regulator at the diver's end...

xort 09-30-2008 08:15 AM

my research led me to believe 12 volt systems are the least effective of the three choices. They can't pump enough air to get you very deep and they use a lot of battery power. So if you are sure you don't need to go more than 10' to 15' and you either have a very big battery or a very short dive time then go for it. Otherwise, think 110 volt or gas.

j34035 09-30-2008 09:22 AM

I dont need very deep dives on our lake as the visibility is really poor, but time enough to do a bottom clean is important to me. The 120 volt rig I used was great, but would really like to be able to use it away from the pier. Maybe driving a 120 volt rig with and inverter would be a solution?
DD