Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-30-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint quotes.

I figured it would cost a small fortune, but wanted to make sure I wasn't getting scammed. I've been quoted for the following:

Haul out
power wash and sand
2 coats of bottom paint
splash

$1,150 total.

Seem fair for a 25 foot boat? I got a couple other 'feelers' out there to see what I can find. This is in southern MD so its usually quite a bit cheaper than annapolis.
Old 09-30-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
zz4gta,

Not sure of your location, but if Cobb Island is not to far for you, ck out this link
The Pirate's Den Marina - Cobb Island, Maryland 301-259-2879
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Here in Southern California I was quoted $1,600 for the same thing on a 27 ~ 30 foot boat. That included an extra Environmental Impact Fee for San Diego harbor due to the sanding. Definately shop around to see if anyone is running any "specials". The boatyards in our area give discounts during some parts of the year in order to keep the workload at their yards balanced. Of coarse we sail all year round over here. Not sure if things are different in areas where you only sail part of the year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 09-30-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
If you got enough of a tidal range and a boat that can withstand a beaching, why not beach it and paint yourself? I can't do this with my pearson, but a few buddys of mine with swing keel boats beach out on the sandbar and paint the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 09-30-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
1100 for my Hunter 31, Fairwinds Marina in 2005. 459 to haul, powerwash, light scrape, block etc. my Gemini (34 ft catamaran); I'm doing the bottom myself with a chemical strip, sanding and 2 gallons of micron intelux at 250 a gallon.

ZZ I thought you had a trailer for that Merit - just do it yourself for the cost of the paint and the supplies for the strip/sanding.
Old 09-30-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Rick Quann, Pirates Den is one of my 'feelers'. Sent them an email and called the number on their site, waiting a reply.

SV distant, my tide is only about 1.5-2 feet and I have a 4' draft. Finn keel spade rudder, if I beach it, I made a big mistake.

ChucklesR, I'd like to do it myself and save a tone, but the trailer height requires me to have it hauled out onto the trailer and then splashed again anyway. Not to mention borrowing or renting stands to get under the trailer supports. I need about 7' of water at the end of the ramp to launch or haul the boat myself. (ask me about the time I tried to hit high tide at 1:00 AM before the Gov Cup this year).

It seems like the consensus is the original quote is a little high for a boat this size and I should keep looking around. Thanks.

Last edited by zz4gta; 09-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I paid $900 for sodablasting the bottom of my boat last spring... and then barrier coated and painted the bottom myself... Painting the bottom of a boat isn't difficult...just time consuming. If you have to sand, it's a royal PITA... chemical stripping is a bit better, but not much. Overall, it is really just grunt work.

BTW, the quote may not be high... prices have gone up quite a bit with respect to paints and other materials in the last two years... mainly because a lot of things are linked to the price of either petroleum or copper, and those prices have been climbing outrageously.

Just look at the cost of bottom paint this year, compared to two years ago. It is ridiculous how much the price has climbed.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-30-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2008

edward cortese is on a distinguished road
Angry bottom painting

My north shore Long Island boat yard claims that the NYS DEP forbids owners to do their own bottom painting...too much poisons leeching into soil. Now the boat yard must do all bottom painting. Can get expensive. Is this a fact about the DEP and no more painting by owners?
Old 09-30-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
See:

Requirements for Applying Antifouling Paints - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

It is a business decision by the yard. Not a NYDEC requirement. However the yard liability for owners errors (e.g. spills) is not a clear legal issue, so there is some justification for the yard policy.
Old 09-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many places are cracking down on DIY bottom painting, since the paint that comes off the bottom when prepping the boat is a heavy metal toxin. In some areas, they've gotten so bad as to require a water reclamation system for capturing the water from boats being pressure washed after being hauled out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward cortese View Post
My north shore Long Island boat yard claims that the NYS DEP forbids owners to do their own bottom painting...too much poisons leeching into soil. Now the boat yard must do all bottom painting. Can get expensive. Is this a fact about the DEP and no more painting by owners?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.