Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-30-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
Bench Testing DC 12 volt

I need to bench test equipment and my old power supply is toast. The one that I am looking at is a 13.8 VDC with 4 - 6 Amps. I cannot recall whether most 12 volt DC systems would be safe. Any thoughts?
Old 09-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, that should be fine... Bulk charging current for most 12 VDC systems is 14.4 VDC or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockvasailor View Post
I need to bench test equipment and my old power supply is toast. The one that I am looking at is a 13.8 VDC with 4 - 6 Amps. I cannot recall whether most 12 volt DC systems would be safe. Any thoughts?
Any reason you wouldn't use an old battery with an in-line fuse attached?

I've got a small motorbike battery on my bench for just that purpose..

Cameron
Old 10-01-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
I use a car battery charger when working with 12 volt equipment. I figure most 12 vdc items can take a range of inputs, since your battery bank voltage varies when in use.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 10-01-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EO32 View Post
I use a car battery charger when working with 12 volt equipment. I figure most 12 vdc items can take a range of inputs, since your battery bank voltage varies when in use.
I used to use a car battery charger - a nice 10A one too - until I blew up the regulator one day..

Unfortunately, battery chargers are not power supplies and are not designed to work very well (or very long) on high-resistance loads. If that's all you've got, I'd strongly suggest hooking an old battery up in parallel with the output... or suffer the consequences.

Cameron
Old 10-01-2008

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
An adjustable power supply that you can vary output voltage and set current limits is ideal since you can adjust the output voltage to simulate batteries that are getting weak. Adjustable current limits are nice too if you are testing equipment with different needs, and want to add some level of short protection, or ensure power ratings aren't exceeded.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 10-01-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the information, it is appreciated

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.