SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cover clamps around mast boot? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47618-cover-clamps-around-mast-boot.html)

saltypat 09-30-2008 10:20 PM

Cover clamps around mast boot?

Hi,

On an Endeavour 33 I have a mast boot held on by metal clamps (adjustable by screwdriver). To cover the sharp edges of the clamp end and adjustable fitting, I covered both the top and bottom clamps with a few layers of duct tape.

After a number of months my duct tape now needs to be taken off and replaced (silver part has flaked off a lot).....

Any other tape or solution which would work better? I am considering asking a canvas guy if he could make me some sort of boot cover- I think I might have seen such a thing.

Thanks a lot, Saltypat

harryrezz 09-30-2008 10:30 PM

Rigging tape would work better and would not fail. It is a heavy, very stretchy tape which will only stick to itself, and eventually bonds to itself so well that it nearly becomes one mass. You can get it at West Marine, or probably any other chandelry. You can also get a similar tape at places like Home Depot, but it is not as heavy as rigging tape.

bubb2 09-30-2008 10:35 PM

mast boot tape
TAPE MAST BOOT 4" X 10' WHITE RUBBAWELD 166580

xort 09-30-2008 10:36 PM

I got rid of the rubber boot & hose clamps altogether and went with the mast boot tape. it's about 1.5" wide and is very stretchy like rigging tape. Actually I think it is just a wider rigging tape. so far so good.

SVDistantStar 09-30-2008 11:51 PM

IVe got the same issue on Distant Star. The hole the mast goes through is pretty big on the front side and butts against the deck on the back. It had gobs of 5200 shot in from the bottom(PO was a dumbass). Ive removed all the old 5200 and sealed it with white duct tape. I need to find a better way to seal this since it still leaks.

saltypat 10-01-2008 12:23 AM

If I go the riggiing/boot tape route (Thanks for the suggestions), and I put it on and it bonds to itself.......
Can I get it off without too much trouble at some time in the future if necessary for maintenance, or to put a new clean version on, etc.?

Thanks, SaltyPat

Stillraining 10-01-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVDistantStar (Post 377884)
IVe got the same issue on Distant Star. The hole the mast goes through is pretty big on the front side and butts against the deck on the back. It had gobs of 5200 shot in from the bottom(PO was a dumbass). Ive removed all the old 5200 and sealed it with white duct tape. I need to find a better way to seal this since it still leaks.

ROFL..SV...once you get all that 5200 of that boat you will have a racing sled...:D

sailingdog 10-01-2008 07:19 AM

Getting the rigging tape off is pretty easy, since it doesn't adhere to anything but itself. BTW, they make a 4" wide version for this IIRC, so don't bother with the 1.5" crap. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltypat (Post 377898)
If I go the riggiing/boot tape route (Thanks for the suggestions), and I put it on and it bonds to itself.......
Can I get it off without too much trouble at some time in the future if necessary for maintenance, or to put a new clean version on, etc.?

Thanks, SaltyPat

SVDistantStar 10-01-2008 10:59 AM

Still, i think the PO either worked for 3M or could get one hell of a deal on 5200. There was at least 30 tubes of the stuff on board when i got the boat. It had been used everywhere for everything. I still haven't figured out why they though sealing stuff from the bottom was the way to do it. Im lucky not to have core damage.

harryrezz 10-01-2008 11:47 AM

bubb2, et al - you're absolutely right! I had forgotten about mast boot tape. It is essentially just a wider version of rigging tape and would work much better in this application.:o