SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   topping lift (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47628-topping-lift.html)

ralphmacey 10-01-2008 10:20 AM

topping lift

I have a Tartan 3000, I want to install the topping lift but all the hardware has been removed from the end of the boom. I believe there once was a cheek block and a cleat, I'm not sure. Any suggestions on rigging the topping lift? The topping lift is wire with a rope/line attached near the boom.
Thanks

harryrezz 10-01-2008 10:43 AM

Topping lift would usually be attached to the outer end of the boom with a shackle through an eye on the boom. It then leads up to the top of the mast, through a sheave there and back down to the bast of the mast where it would terminate unless it is led back to the cockpit. Pretty simple.
If you once had a cheek block near the end of the boom it was probably for a slab reefing system, not a topping lift.

sailingfool 10-01-2008 10:55 AM

Is there a wire topping lift connected at the top of the mast? My guess would be the wire would terminat in a small block, a separate rope section tied to the end of the boom, turned back through the small block on the end of the topping lift wire, to a cheek block near the end of the boom , then forward to a cleat where the rope would be easily accessible for adjustment. this setup gives a 2/1 purchase.

Does the boom have a rigid vang...what holds it up now?

craigtoo 10-01-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 378101)
Is there a wire topping lift connected at the top of the mast? My guess would be the wire would terminat in a small block, a separate rope section tied to the end of the boom, turned back through the small block on the end of the topping lift wire, to a cheek block near the end of the boom , then forward to a cleat where the rope would be easily accessible for adjustment. this setup gives a 2/1 purchase.

Does the boom have a rigid vang...what holds it up now?

This is how my Topping lift was rigged before I installed a boomkicker. (Which I recommend btw).

NOLAsailing 10-01-2008 12:08 PM

Topping lift??? Why? :)

Go with the boomkicker - cheaper, faster, easier and works great. I had mine installed within 30 minutes of opening the box. It even comes with it's own drill and tap.

ralphmacey 10-01-2008 12:18 PM

There is a rigid vang now, but when I sheet in the main the boom hits the top of the dodger. Can the rigid vang be adjusted to prevent that from happening?

knothead 10-01-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphmacey (Post 378076)
I have a Tartan 3000, I want to install the topping lift but all the hardware has been removed from the end of the boom. I believe there once was a cheek block and a cleat, I'm not sure. Any suggestions on rigging the topping lift? The topping lift is wire with a rope/line attached near the boom.
Thanks

Since you state; "The topping lift is wire with a rope/line attached near the boom." A common method BYW. I have to assume that you still have that part.
Often, with that type of topping lift the rope portion is run through the boom under a sheave at the aft end and then to the forward end where it exits through a jammer.
You may not have this type of boom however and your idea of a cheek block and cleat is pretty common too.
It is a little more difficult to adjust when the cleat is at the aft end of the boom but that's seldom a problem on smaller boats.

knothead 10-01-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphmacey (Post 378141)
There is a rigid vang now, but when I sheet in the main the boom hits the top of the dodger. Can the rigid vang be adjusted to prevent that from happening?

If, when under sail the boom hits the dodger, something needs to be changed. But not the rigid vang. You should be able to sheet in hard with the main up without hitting anything. If your vang is adjusted to prevent this, then you won't be getting the proper sail shape.
Perhaps your dodger is too high or your sail is not cut properly.

sailingfool 10-01-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 378165)
If, when under sail the boom hits the dodger, something needs to be changed. But not the rigid vang. You should be able to sheet in hard with the main up without hitting anything. If your vang is adjusted to prevent this, then you won't be getting the proper sail shape.
Perhaps your dodger is too high or your sail is not cut properly.

Ditto to Steve's comments, and additionally you don't want to try to resolve this situation by adding a topping lift. If you were to do so, you would be putting an risky load on the boom, if you trim the main hard with a tight topping lift, you could easily break the boom (been there, done that...).

JohnRPollard 10-01-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 378169)
Ditto to Steve's comments, and additionally you don't want to try to resolve this situation by adding a topping lift. If you were to do so, you would be putting an risky load on the boom, if you trim the main hard with a tight topping lift, you could easily break the boom (been there, done that...).

I agree with both you guys. But I assumed the OP was saying he had this problem when he's not sailing, i.e. when the main is flaked and he snugs the sheet to keep the boom from swinging back and forth? Maybe not...

Even if I had a boom kicker, I'd still want the topping lift. If you're seriously into racing and don't want the topping lift flailing around while sailing, you can design it to be quick release at the boom end and bring it forward to the mast when sailing...