Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2008

Leland is on a distinguished road
Looking for a new compass

my compass is old, has no light which would have really been nice the other night...and nothing to tell me the degree of heeling I am at. I am looking for a new one that has a light, tells me how far I am heeling and is AWESOME. give me some sugggestions....It needs to be bulkhead mounted for my oday 23
Old 10-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend the Plastimo 101 Compass. It looks like:

Available here at sailnet...click on photo to go to it.

The other advantage the Plastimo has is that it can be read from inside the cabin as well as outside in the cockpit... if it is installed next to the nav station, that can be handy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-02-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Yes, that Plastimo is great. Just don't lose the grey plastic faceplate cover, as sunlight will yellow the oil. Also, unless you know what you are doing, having it professionally swung is a good idea, even with a little compass (I assume it can be swung, I don't know, as it was right when I bought the boat!)

The only other comparable compass at the low end is Suunto, I think.

Suunto - Home - SUUNTO B-95 SAIL - Marine Compasses

Last edited by Valiente; 10-02-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Danforth makes one as well, but I think the Plastimo is far easier to read.

The other advantage the Plastimo has is that it can be read from inside the cabin as well as outside in the cockpit... if it is installed next to the nav station, that can be handy.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-02-2008

Leland is on a distinguished road
how does that work? do you have to cut a huge hole in the bulkhead?
Old 10-02-2008
Telstar 28

With all of the bulkhead mounted compasses, you have to cut a pretty big hole in the bulkhead. Huge is a relative term though... most of them require a hole about 3.5-4" in diameter. I like the Plastimo because it at least makes the most of the hole IMHO, since you can see the compass card from both sides.

They do make a smaller version of the Plastimo, which is located here. However, I wouldn't recommend it, since it doesn't allow you to swing the compass, since it doesn't have adjusters for the deviation IIRC.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-02-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
I really like the Suunto B-116 bulkhead compass

one possible source: http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d321000/e318618.asp

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 10-02-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
We went with the Ritchie Navigation SR-2 Venture:

for the following reasons: 1. We liked the white lettering on a blue card. It seemed very readable. 2. Ritchie was most-highly-recommended by the compass repair guy I talked to down in Florida. 3. It was in-stock at a local marine supply store (and I like to buy local).

How readable is it? Well, ours is mast-mounted and we've a 30' boat. So that compass is about, oh... 10' from where The Admiral sits at the tiller and I at the winches, and we can both read it pretty well--at least during the daytime. (There's no power up there yet and we haven't sailed at night, yet, in any event, so I couldn't say about nighttime.)

Jim
Old 10-02-2008
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
An excellent low-cost choice is Rule's Saturn, available in flat or front-read. Only $82, really large, seems well-built. Integral clinometer. My only complaint is on the front-read, with our slightly angled bulkhead, a gimbal can obscure the gradations slightly. Depends where you are sitting.
Old 10-02-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
This option doesn't require cutting any holes and is readable from below. All you need to do is detach it from the included adhesive mounting strip. It is also removable when you are away from the boat so theft is no longer a worry. The product is shown with the optional inclinometer.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a new compass-bulkhead-compass.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.