Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I seem to remember a UK website for a company that specialized in restoring winches, selling them, and selling parts for older winches. I don't have the link but have posted the question on Yacht Forum UK and Westerly Owner's Group UK, both of which I belong to. I will post it if I can find it. They should be available somewhere as 1983 isn't that long ago. It makes sense that someone in the UK will know. Personally, I own 2 Andersen 28st and 2 Andersen 40st winches and they have no working parts in plastic - all stainless & bronze. Good thing as my Danish sucks.
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2009
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Are these 1983 Lewmar Wavegrip winches ( they have 4 cap screws) or pre 1983? I'm asking because pre 1983 lewmar ST winches didn't come in size 40 (me thinks????).

Does yours look like this Wave Grip:

If so, you may have the wrong part number. Wave Grip 40 ST stripper ring is part number 15000375.

Pre 1983 self tailers were called Hold Fast and came in 16, 30, and 34 (could be wrong though).

Lewmar Holdfast:

Not saying you are wrong, just questioning because when you say "early 80's lewmar 40ST", to me that means a Wave Grip.

The stripper ring for 40ST and 30ST of the wave grip vintage can be had for $15 here:

LEWMAR STRIPPER RING 30/40

EDIT:

And for good measure, the Wave Grip 40ST diagram:

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 09-07-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Here's a link that might help WinchSpares.com
Brian
Old 09-14-2009

cbrey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasterm View Post
I had the same problem o my Catalina 30 (1984)
Have you solved the issue?
I had the local machine shop make them and they will be willing to make more if necessary. The larger number of people would help...
Michael
Hello,

I'm interested in throwing my hat in the ring with you to get some new rings made. Please let me know if you'd still like to do this and, if so, how you'd like to go about it.

Best regards,
Carter Brey
Sabre 28 MkII "Delphine"
City Island, NY
Old 09-19-2009

Your prayers are answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I seem to remember a UK website for a company that specialized in restoring winches, selling them, and selling parts for older winches. I don't have the link but have posted the question on Yacht Forum UK and Westerly Owner's Group UK, both of which I belong to. I will post it if I can find it. They should be available somewhere as 1983 isn't that long ago. It makes sense that someone in the UK will know. Personally, I own 2 Andersen 28st and 2 Andersen 40st winches and they have no working parts in plastic - all stainless & bronze. Good thing as my Danish sucks.
Brian
Brian is right.

The company, located in the UK, is called Winch Spares:

WinchSpares.com

And they carry any part for your old Lewmars (and other brands) that you may need. I ordered two stripper rings as well as replacement top caps (which are also plastic and subject to UV degradation) and pawl/spring replacement kits for my 1981 Lewmar 40 ST's.

The price for a stripper ring is £18.50 (about $30).

Cheers,
Carter
Old 09-19-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleeboy View Post
Good Luck with emachine, its the joke of the industry.
michael
I'm curious, what is wrong with E-machine? As I indicated, I was impressed with the program, the project just seemed a little over my head.
Old 09-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrey View Post
Brian is right.

The company, located in the UK, is called Winch Spares:

WinchSpares.com

And they carry any part for your old Lewmars (and other brands) that you may need. I ordered two stripper rings as well as replacement top caps (which are also plastic and subject to UV degradation) and pawl/spring replacement kits for my 1981 Lewmar 40 ST's.

The price for a stripper ring is £18.50 (about $30).

Cheers,
Carter
I hope you are right, and forgive my skepticism, but I'll believe it when they are functioning on your boat! The only way I can see it happening is if they are fabricating parts, which might be a possibility from the looks of their website. With as long as I've been dealing with this, and as many people as I've talked to about these friggin rings, it's hard to believe I never ran across them! If it's true, they need to work on their marketing! I'll be talking to them first thing Monday morning. Thanks Guys!
Old 09-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Personally, I own 2 Andersen 28st and 2 Andersen 40st winches and they have no working parts in plastic - all stainless & bronze. Good thing as my Danish sucks.
Brian
Your winches probably don't have stripper rings. Many winches simply have a deflector on the stripper arm. Seems a lot simpler and just as effective to me. In fact, I was considering doing that to my ST40's. I just hate the thought of jury rigging things.
Old 09-23-2009

Eureka

Gentlemen,

My order arrived yesterday from Winch Spares, and they are indeed what they advertise. I received two stripper rings (correct dimensions for my 1981 Lewmar 40 ST's, obviously newly manufactured) as well as new plastic top caps, allen screws, and a set of pawls and springs just in case.

Best regards,
Carter Brey
Sabre 28 MkII "Delphine"
City Island, NY
Old 09-26-2009

Great News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrey View Post
Gentlemen,

My order arrived yesterday from Winch Spares, and they are indeed what they advertise. I received two stripper rings (correct dimensions for my 1981 Lewmar 40 ST's, obviously newly manufactured) as well as new plastic top caps, allen screws, and a set of pawls and springs just in case.
Thats great news, thanks for the update. Thanks also to Brian for telling us about the company. One more example the the power of the Internet. I can't believe how excited I am to find them, an indication of what I've gone through for a couple of plastic rings! I looked at the date I started this thread, and ironically, it's been almost exactly a year. I started my search a year before that! Winch Spares says they can also supply a square shank winch handle for my Lewmar halyard winch. I had given up on that years ago and modified a current handle which works, but isn't right. The advantage of the modified handle is that it is does lock (unlike the square shank). The drawback is it is sometimes reluctant to unlock! It will be nice to have the right handle and ST40's that actually "ST"!

Last edited by L124C; 09-27-2009 at 12:43 PM.