SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Alternator woes need your advice

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  timebandit 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just installed a new 60 amp alternator internally regulated. Anyway according to my gauges and multimeter she's putting out 15.6 volts at the alternator and the batteries are getting 15.2 volts. I was under the impression that the alternator should only put out around 14.7 volts......Is there an aftermarket external regulator that I can adjust this with? Is usage going to fry my two new batteries?

#6 ·
Resting voltage cannot be 13.3...that is surface charge from prior charging. Resting voltage cannot be over 12.7. Anyway....sounds like they are fully charged. Your alternator output after 15 minutes is WAY too high. Take it back to the shop as it will need to be either fixed for the correct output (not more than 14.7) or modified to take an external regulator.

#7 ·
According to their web site: Deka Dominator 14.1v, Deka Seamate 14.6v maximum charge voltage. As Mr. C. has already stated your alternator is putting out too much. Actually, are both being charged in parallel or do you have 2 separate batteries and dual charger? Some (cheaper) dual chargers will drop the voltage (usually unwanted, but in your case perhaps a possible solution).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.