Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehoyt View Post
If you are down to a triple reefed main and still have a 150 on your furler half rolled or not then you have made some bad decisions.

When it is obvious there is bad weather closing in haul the genoa down and then put up a smaller headsail. It can be furling or not.
How much smaller? A storm jib? If not, at what point do you take the smaller sail down for the storm jib? And is it any easier the second time to change sails? Or do you enjoy sailing in 30 knots with a storm jib up? Sorry for all the questions but the reason I have a furler is to be able to regulate the size of the sail relative to the wind. Sail changes were never a part of that strategy for me. I guess we're all different.

Quote:
Twin foils are useful when changing sails because you can hoist one inside the other and then haul down the second sail. Is a common technique in racing and the twin foil simply equips a boat that way in the event it ever decides to do a sail change in this manner.
Yep, if I was racing I'd agree with that completely.

Quote:
Our boat has a roller furl dacron #1 as well as a full inventory of racing sails. It has two genoa halyards and twin foil.
You either have a whole lot of storage for sails or you're not into cruising. I wouldn't waste my storage space on a wardrobe of racing sails. Then again, different strokes . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
Ideally, you'll have a changing line and you can attach that to the sail that's being hoisted. Alternatively, you can use the lazy sheet of the hoisted sail and, when the first sail is down, remove the other sheet and attach that as the new sail's lazy sheet.
How do you run that sheet? Extra winches? I only have one outside the cockpit on each side for the jibsheet. All I can envision is having to run the new sheet through the same lead and onto the same winch. I suspect I'm missing something.
Old 10-06-2008

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
A #3 and a #1 is a prudent set of headsails. If it is expected to be windy why would you go out with a #1 on your furler? Chnage down to #3 before you go out and maybe even put it on for months of Sept and Oct.

A #3 does not take up much room and having one aboard makes sense. The boat will handle better, be flatter and be safer. A half olled headsail just does not offer the same comfort or performance.

I think EVERY cruising boat should know how to change headsails on the fly and be practiced at it. If you are under crewed then a prudent boat would have on the #3 anyway and still have a storm jib below if going out for any cruise, etc...

... and the answer is YES - it is far easier to take down a #3 to switch to a storm sail than it would be to take down a #1 to do the same.

Mike