SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Hank on Sails w/ Roller Furling (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47727-hank-sails-w-roller-furling.html)

wind_magic 10-05-2008 11:50 AM

Hank on Sails w/ Roller Furling

When a boat has roller furling, is it possible to use hank on sails or are you pretty much stuck with the roller furling ? I've never used roller furling before so I know nothing about it - can it be removed easily ? Can it be removed in an emergency ? Once removed, can you use hank on sails ?

sailingfool 10-05-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wind_magic (Post 379799)
When a boat has roller furling, is it possible to use hank on sails or are you pretty much stuck with the roller furling ? I've never used roller furling before so I know nothing about it - can it be removed easily ? Can it be removed in an emergency ? Once removed, can you use hank on sails ?

Hanked sails cannot be used with roller furling.
The drums on most furlers can be removed easily but not the headfoils. I believe on my Furlex system, I need to disconnect the forestay to remove the headfoil, leaving you with the traditional headstay. some systems may have an integral headstay.

Why all the questions?? Roller fulring systems are wonderful and worth all the money wise boat owner spend to have the pleasure of their use. If you buy a boat with one, use it...if you buy a boat without a system, buy a furler should high on your list. They present little risk, on most designs your fallback should be a hanked stormjib set on a removeable inner forestay.

If you want to race, just dump the furler drum and use the headfoil. It won't be long before you only see hanks in a maritime museum.

RandyonR3 10-05-2008 12:08 PM

if you've never used a furler, you're in for a treat as once you understand the workings, it will amaze you as to the ease of it.
It is possible to change sails, as most furlers have a track, or two that the sail slides up inside the unit.. Even while racing, the change of a sail by sliding one up while the other is comming down is common.
To take the furler off completely is another story as most furlers are intergrated into the forstay but as I said, the sails can be removed easily.

wind_magic 10-05-2008 12:12 PM

Thanks for the response sailingfool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 379808)
Why all the questions?? Roller fulring systems are wonderful and worth all the money wise boat owner spend to have the pleasure of their use. If you buy a boat with one, use it...if you buy a boat without a system, buy a furler should high on your list. They present little risk, on most designs your fallback should be a hanked stormjib set on a removeable inner forestay.

Well that was my concern, was how can I use storm sails with the roller furling, because I've seen the furling sails on the boat and they aren't tough enough for the evil stuff, they'd just get blown out. Could you point me to some information I could read about a removable inner forestay ? How would you rig that up ?

Randy thanks to you as well! :)

EO32 10-05-2008 12:24 PM

I've got a hanked on Drifter sail. It looks like an asymmetrical spinnaker, big and light.

I also have a roller furling genny. I'm planning to get or make some beaded rings that will roll over the furled genny and allow me to hank on the drifter and raise it while the genny is furled.

sailingfool 10-05-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wind_magic (Post 379812)
Thanks for the response sailingfool.
..... Could you point me to some information I could read about a removable inner forestay ? How would you rig that up ?

Randy thanks to you as well! :)

As with most any question, type "removeable inner forestay" into a Google search and you will have it all, including Sailing Magazine

wind_magic 10-05-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 379824)
As with most any question, type "removeable inner forestay" into a Google search and you will have it all, including Sailing Magazine

Obviously.

I really meant any link that is the way YOU would rig it up.

jjablonowski 10-05-2008 12:44 PM

Consider a Gale Sail

Quote:

Originally Posted by wind_magic (Post 379812)
how can I use storm sails with the roller furling?

I cannot vouch for it personally, but here's one solution: YouTube - Gale Sail from ATN at CLR Marine

NOLAsailing 10-05-2008 12:44 PM

You can use your existing sails with a furler installed. There's no need to install a forestay if that's all you're trying to accomplish.

Have a local sailmaker remove the hanks and sew on a luff tape. The luff tape fits in the groove on the furling unit's foil and is hoisted that way.

This is common for racer/cruiser types that have a racing set of sails but also like the convenience of the furler when they're not racing.

xort 10-05-2008 01:02 PM

I have 2 grooves in my foil. I have a second sail that goes in the groove. I think this is for double headsail downwind sailing. I haven't pulled it out to try. I can't use it alone as the genoa is wrapped around the foil covering it.