Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Hank on Sails w/ Roller Furling

When a boat has roller furling, is it possible to use hank on sails or are you pretty much stuck with the roller furling ? I've never used roller furling before so I know nothing about it - can it be removed easily ? Can it be removed in an emergency ? Once removed, can you use hank on sails ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
When a boat has roller furling, is it possible to use hank on sails or are you pretty much stuck with the roller furling ? I've never used roller furling before so I know nothing about it - can it be removed easily ? Can it be removed in an emergency ? Once removed, can you use hank on sails ?
Hanked sails cannot be used with roller furling.
The drums on most furlers can be removed easily but not the headfoils. I believe on my Furlex system, I need to disconnect the forestay to remove the headfoil, leaving you with the traditional headstay. some systems may have an integral headstay.

Why all the questions?? Roller fulring systems are wonderful and worth all the money wise boat owner spend to have the pleasure of their use. If you buy a boat with one, use it...if you buy a boat without a system, buy a furler should high on your list. They present little risk, on most designs your fallback should be a hanked stormjib set on a removeable inner forestay.

If you want to race, just dump the furler drum and use the headfoil. It won't be long before you only see hanks in a maritime museum.
Old 10-05-2008
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
if you've never used a furler, you're in for a treat as once you understand the workings, it will amaze you as to the ease of it.
It is possible to change sails, as most furlers have a track, or two that the sail slides up inside the unit.. Even while racing, the change of a sail by sliding one up while the other is comming down is common.
To take the furler off completely is another story as most furlers are intergrated into the forstay but as I said, the sails can be removed easily.
Old 10-05-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the response sailingfool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Why all the questions?? Roller fulring systems are wonderful and worth all the money wise boat owner spend to have the pleasure of their use. If you buy a boat with one, use it...if you buy a boat without a system, buy a furler should high on your list. They present little risk, on most designs your fallback should be a hanked stormjib set on a removeable inner forestay.
Well that was my concern, was how can I use storm sails with the roller furling, because I've seen the furling sails on the boat and they aren't tough enough for the evil stuff, they'd just get blown out. Could you point me to some information I could read about a removable inner forestay ? How would you rig that up ?

Randy thanks to you as well!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
I've got a hanked on Drifter sail. It looks like an asymmetrical spinnaker, big and light.

I also have a roller furling genny. I'm planning to get or make some beaded rings that will roll over the furled genny and allow me to hank on the drifter and raise it while the genny is furled.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 10-05-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks for the response sailingfool.
..... Could you point me to some information I could read about a removable inner forestay ? How would you rig that up ?

Randy thanks to you as well!
As with most any question, type "removeable inner forestay" into a Google search and you will have it all, including Sailing Magazine
Old 10-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
As with most any question, type "removeable inner forestay" into a Google search and you will have it all, including Sailing Magazine
Obviously.

I really meant any link that is the way YOU would rig it up.

Please support my
Old 10-05-2008

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Consider a Gale Sail

Quote:
how can I use storm sails with the roller furling?
I cannot vouch for it personally, but here's one solution: YouTube - Gale Sail from ATN at CLR Marine

Last edited by jjablonowski; 10-05-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
You can use your existing sails with a furler installed. There's no need to install a forestay if that's all you're trying to accomplish.

Have a local sailmaker remove the hanks and sew on a luff tape. The luff tape fits in the groove on the furling unit's foil and is hoisted that way.

This is common for racer/cruiser types that have a racing set of sails but also like the convenience of the furler when they're not racing.

Old 10-05-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I have 2 grooves in my foil. I have a second sail that goes in the groove. I think this is for double headsail downwind sailing. I haven't pulled it out to try. I can't use it alone as the genoa is wrapped around the foil covering it.