SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Rebedding in the rain? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47759-rebedding-rain.html)

scove 10-06-2008 03:44 AM

Rebedding in the rain?

Now that the rainy season is here (Vancouver) I'm finding that I have a few more deck leaks that need to be taken care of and I don't want to let them sit through a wet winter making things well below. Unfortunately this also means that there are very few dry days to do the work in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover the work area until the bedding compound cures?

This hasn't been a problem when working around the companion way as I would just throw a tarp over the boom. Now my projects are taking me to harder to cover areas like just under the mast or rebedding chain plates and a couple stanchions. The tarp doesn't work as well as the water just runs down the mast or shrouds.

Thoughts?

sailingdog 10-06-2008 09:30 AM

You could always use shrink wrap tape or some other sticky tape to seal off a tarp thrown over the area in question. The mast is probably the most difficult thing to seal off, since it has the sail track or groove in it and the most irregular surface, but even that could be done with some creativity.

Another possible option is to tape a small plastic bag over the area locally... and use heavy waterproof tape, like shrinkwrap tape to seal it around anything that has to penetrate the bag.

GBurton 10-06-2008 01:36 PM

What type of bedding compound are you using?

EO32 10-06-2008 04:33 PM

I thought and have used 3M 101 in the rain.

poopdeckpappy 10-06-2008 06:32 PM

Boatlife Lifecaulk :

Can be applied underwater for emergency repairs
Use as bedding compound or to seal hull and deck seams
Bonds to fiberglass, wood, metal, glass and itself
Can be applied to damp surfaces
Ideal for teak decks, deck hardware, hull fittings and underwater seams

Yes I have used it

montenido 10-06-2008 08:11 PM

I vote for butyl tape. I am currently re-arranging my lines to lead aft to the cockpit. Butyl tape seals instantly and there is no curing time. I am going to use it on my new hatch install next week.

Good luck, montenido

gc1111 10-06-2008 08:23 PM

I strongly recommend switching to BoatLife. I have used it for years and it works well and can be applied in moist conditions.

By the way it gets all over everything, but WD-40 softens/dissolves it unti it cures. It was years before I learned that and it has made a world of difference.

scove 10-07-2008 02:58 AM

I'm currently using Sikaflex-292. I like the sound of Boatlife Lifecaulk. At the very least I like the idea of being able to apply it underwater in emergencies. That said, I still think that for preventative maintenance I want to keep the work area dry. I'm woried about sealing moisture inside.

I don't have any experience with Butyl tapes. What are the pros/cons?

Thx SD. I'll see if I can find some shrink wrap tape and experiment with different ways of folding the tarp around the shrouds and deck to give me the best coverage.

artbyjody 10-07-2008 03:04 AM

I find boatlife very watery. Anytime I squeeze it out of the tube more watery substance than actual substance (caulk). It also takes a long time to cure. It is effected alot by heat as well. I used it to treat wet repairs (leaks as they happened) and was not to happy about the outcome. Just my anti - life caulk rant, I prefer the 3m products.

sailingdog 10-07-2008 06:44 AM

Just be aware that you shouldn't use POLYSULFIDE sealants with plastics, as they're generally not compatible. POLYSULFIDE sealants will attack most plastics. BoatLife LifeCaulk is a polysulfide sealant. :)