Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2008

scove is on a distinguished road
Rebedding in the rain?

Now that the rainy season is here (Vancouver) I'm finding that I have a few more deck leaks that need to be taken care of and I don't want to let them sit through a wet winter making things well below. Unfortunately this also means that there are very few dry days to do the work in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover the work area until the bedding compound cures?

This hasn't been a problem when working around the companion way as I would just throw a tarp over the boom. Now my projects are taking me to harder to cover areas like just under the mast or rebedding chain plates and a couple stanchions. The tarp doesn't work as well as the water just runs down the mast or shrouds.

Thoughts?

BLog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beneteau 411
Somewhere in the Caribbean with 3 kids in tow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could always use shrink wrap tape or some other sticky tape to seal off a tarp thrown over the area in question. The mast is probably the most difficult thing to seal off, since it has the sail track or groove in it and the most irregular surface, but even that could be done with some creativity.

Another possible option is to tape a small plastic bag over the area locally... and use heavy waterproof tape, like shrinkwrap tape to seal it around anything that has to penetrate the bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-06-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
What type of bedding compound are you using?
Old 10-06-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
I thought and have used 3M 101 in the rain.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 10-06-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Boatlife Lifecaulk :

Can be applied underwater for emergency repairs
Use as bedding compound or to seal hull and deck seams
Bonds to fiberglass, wood, metal, glass and itself
Can be applied to damp surfaces
Ideal for teak decks, deck hardware, hull fittings and underwater seams

Yes I have used it
Old 10-06-2008

montenido is on a distinguished road
I vote for butyl tape. I am currently re-arranging my lines to lead aft to the cockpit. Butyl tape seals instantly and there is no curing time. I am going to use it on my new hatch install next week.

Good luck, montenido

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 10-06-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
I strongly recommend switching to BoatLife. I have used it for years and it works well and can be applied in moist conditions.

By the way it gets all over everything, but WD-40 softens/dissolves it unti it cures. It was years before I learned that and it has made a world of difference.
Old 10-07-2008

scove is on a distinguished road
I'm currently using Sikaflex-292. I like the sound of Boatlife Lifecaulk. At the very least I like the idea of being able to apply it underwater in emergencies. That said, I still think that for preventative maintenance I want to keep the work area dry. I'm woried about sealing moisture inside.

I don't have any experience with Butyl tapes. What are the pros/cons?

Thx SD. I'll see if I can find some shrink wrap tape and experiment with different ways of folding the tarp around the shrouds and deck to give me the best coverage.

BLog:

Beneteau 411
Somewhere in the Caribbean with 3 kids in tow
Old 10-07-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I find boatlife very watery. Anytime I squeeze it out of the tube more watery substance than actual substance (caulk). It also takes a long time to cure. It is effected alot by heat as well. I used it to treat wet repairs (leaks as they happened) and was not to happy about the outcome. Just my anti - life caulk rant, I prefer the 3m products.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 10-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be aware that you shouldn't use POLYSULFIDE sealants with plastics, as they're generally not compatible. POLYSULFIDE sealants will attack most plastics. BoatLife LifeCaulk is a polysulfide sealant.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.