Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2009

kckclass is on a distinguished road
The Free Wind Gen Classes

By the way, the page with the free 'make a wind gen' classes has several - a guy on the East Coast did a pretty nice video using a bluewindpower PMDC alternator. I looked at the specs - there are several models - and it looks like a good unit. Anyone tried them?

And the WindGenZen class is now going out on a free CD. Sailors who might want to take it to islands could possibly hold classes there. I did that on the beach in Saipan where a guy pulled up in a homemade cat (pretty funky) and he had a fan from a car (funkier still) driving a pmdc motor and some Carolinians were around - kids and a few adults - and we made a blade from wood right there on the beach.

A Congressman happened to be there and walked over and I said "Ok, I did one end of this blade (I am a pretty good expert at carving these) and one of your Carolinian teens here did the other. Can you tell the difference?" and he could not so considering the kid could barely speak English (pretty bad) I guess I am not a bad teacher.

As a result of that day whenever I came down to that beach they let me hang out/crash/bbq - whatever - on/around a traditional inter-island homemade classic proa they had on the beach there under a plam hut. When I checked out of my hotel early I got a cheap hammock spent a few days sleeping there...one of my favorite places in the islands - quiet - traditional - barely 10 feet to the water's edge.
Free PCs for Kids since 1983
(Eduhosting.org/edkck.html)
and Woodcarver (trained by NASA Physicist)
The most beautiful Wind Generator Blades on Earth
(WindGenZen.com) Free Wind Gen blade carving classes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009

Windrift is on a distinguished road
Well I found another person selling the motor or generator itself on craigs list. My windbugger cracked on the shaft and flew off into the ocean with the blades , hub and half of the center shaft about 8 months ago. I wasnt planning to replace it as I am planning to sell it. I only started looking for parts after the generator listing on craigs list. I have the mount the bearing and the casing and wind vane. If I could find the center shaft , hub and blades cheap enough then it could enhance the value of my 74 Ericson that will be listed for sale next week.
Old 03-13-2009

kckclass is on a distinguished road
If you don't want to carve your own blades, there's a great video series on really EASY and CHEAP and ROBUST wind gens at

YouTube - How to build a home made wind generator
YouTube - Part 2 how to make your own wind generator
YouTube - How to build a home made wind generator part 3

I actually prefer wooden blades (these are plastic above), but everything else is pretty kewl.
Free PCs for Kids since 1983
(Eduhosting.org/edkck.html)
and Woodcarver (trained by NASA Physicist)
The most beautiful Wind Generator Blades on Earth
(WindGenZen.com) Free Wind Gen blade carving classes