Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-08-2008

I33 is on a distinguished road
multi-bank charger

Anyone know if the 3-bank chargers from Xantrex (and others) individually meter the three outputs? Seems to me in typical use the three connected banks would not be at the same level of discharge. Say the house bank is down to 50%, and the start battery is at 85% full charge--if all three simultaneously receive a bulk charge, what happens to the bank that is near fully-charged?
Old 10-08-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
In a word, yes.

The charger looks at each bank independently and charges them accordingly. You can be bulk charging your house bank while the start is on float. You also can setup each bank profile for different battery types.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Solare,

are you sure? I have a two bank Xantrax and it doesn't work like this. The lower bank gets the majority of the charge but when it goes to float it floats both banks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2008
Tartan 37C

It may depend on the model, I installed a Xantrex XC 30 amp charger last year and it works as advertised.

Xantrex Technology Inc. - XC Battery Chargers - 12V & 24V - Product Information

Xantrex XC Battery Chargers are designed to provide longer battery life by independently controlling the charge profile for each battery bank. The XC is the first “smart” charger that can charge up to 3 different battery chemistries simultaneously. This unique multiplex design means that boaters can choose the optimal battery type for each application on their boat without concern about battery damage from either under- or overcharging.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 10-09-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
I have just installed the TRUECHARGE™2 Battery Charger to a three bank battery setup and it works as T37 commented. I independently monitered it whilst charging and each bank was charging according to it's requirements, with no bank getting higher than 14.2 volts.

Ilenart
Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Solare,

are you sure? I have a two bank Xantrax and it doesn't work like this. The lower bank gets the majority of the charge but when it goes to float it floats both banks.
Which one do you have ...Because this discuttion has me wondering now.

I have the Xantrex tru-charge 40 and my boat has been in the water for almost 3 months now..I leave the shor power unplugged as a prevention for further galvanic problums...every time I visit the boat once per week of at most two weeks...I plug it in... the charger fires up for about 30 sec to 2 min and then shuts down I can hardly believe the batteries are this good but may be they are..If I start the engine from dead cold it take about 3 seconds of cranking..twice to get her started. The charger will come on for about a min and shuts back off.

I am now wondering if I too have the charger that reads off both banks but only charges for the one...

I have really considered doing away with the start bank as Maine Sail suggests as I have two battrie disconnect switches and for the life of me cant figure out what goes where..( The engine will crank even with both off ) ...but if I did do that Im also considering installing 2 4D's I have sitting around that are basicly brand new as a second house bank so Id still have the same issue right?

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-09-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2008
Tartan 37C

I have the Xantrex XC charger, the Tru-charge is a single bank charger. Any chance the extra switch is to switch the charger to the second bank?

I have 4 110-AH AGM's that I use for house & start, the second bank is a single battery for emergency start.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
I have the Xantrex XC charger, the Tru-charge is a single bank charger. Any chance the extra switch is to switch the charger to the second bank?

I have 4 110-AH AGM's that I use for house & start, the second bank is a single battery for emergency start.

You know I never thought of that "T"..I bet you right.. The wiring on my boat is my biggest bug-a-boo Id need a degree in electrical reverse engineering to figure it out..I'd love to change the whole thing out someday..man I dont want to even think about what a hassle that would be..

Bummer to find out I dont have as good of a charger as I thought though.

So how come there's 4 wires leaving the charger?
Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

hmmmm??? Now Im really confused..are you sure about what you said?

High Performance, Multistage Charging

Truecharge multistage battery chargers are microprocessor controlled for fast and accurate charging of all deep-cycle ‘house’ batteries. A wide AC input voltage range enables proper delivery of a full three-stage charge, even when charging from less than perfect quality shorepower or generator power. Smart features, such as adjustable temperature compensation and independent settings prevent battery damage due to overcharging and also help extend the life of expensive batteries. All Truecharge battery chargers come with a one year warranty.

Truecharge 20+/40+

20 and 40 amp output
Microprocessor controlled, multistage charging
Charges up to three battery banks simultaneously
Independent settings for AGM, flooded or gel lead-acid batteries
Wide voltage range operation (90-135 VAC, 50/60 Hz)
Automatic 21-day top-up program
Durable and corrosion resistant chassis
Optional remote LED panel to indicate battery and charge status
Optional battery temperature sensor
Protection Features

Over-temperature shutdown and overload protection
Ignition protected for installation in gas engine compartments (10TB, 20+ and 40+)
Transformer isolated for safety and to protect against electrolysis
Reverse polarity protection
Short-circuit and surge protection
Old 10-09-2008
Tartan 37C

Your right, this is from the users manual: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/462/docserve.aspx

Simultaneous Three-Battery Bank Charging
Truecharge+ has three separate DC positive terminals to allow charging
of three separate batteries (or battery banks). The total current into the
batteries is a maximum of either 20 amperes or 40 amperes, depending on
the model, which is divided amongst the batteries according to their state
of discharge.
Note: The three outputs are not independently voltage regulated so it
is important to avoid systems with mixed types of batteries.

SOLARE
T-37 #442

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.