Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2008
Precocious

SDietz is on a distinguished road
Filled bilge

Good morning everyone! I am a proud new owner of a 1980 catalina 30 and I'm new to this forum. This is my first cruiser and I'm very excited about it. Tonight I was down at the docks changing an interior light when a friend asked to see the bilge. I went ahead an opened it up to find it 95% filled. Needless to say this worried me. During the survey and my first few trips out into the bay it has remained bone dry. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it so I bailed it by hand.

Is there a switch I could have turned off that would have caused this, or is this a broken pump? I ran the diesel a little to see if that was it but again no dice. I've had the catalina for less than a month and I'm still trying to learn everything on/about the boat.

Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Yeah check your distribution panel and see if the bilge pump switch was flipped off, hopefully it's that simple

If not you could have a bad float switch or bad pump or both or just a bad connection

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 10-09-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2008
Precocious

I believe I only have 3 switches there: Shower, pressurized water, and macerator pump.

Sorry if this seems like stupid questions but I'm trying to get actuated with the boat.

Thank you for the reply.

Last edited by SDietz; 10-09-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I think the biggest issue is finding out where the water comes from. However. On your Catalina - the odds are your bilge pump, which is located under the center floorboard, is directly wired to the battery. Commonly done actually at least was on my C-27. There will also be a float switch - it will look grey and you flip it up and it will start the pump in the bilge (simple tracing of wires will get you there).

The reason it may not be pumping - is that the filter is clogged at the base of the Rule Pump, the wires are corroded , wiring to the pump is disconnected from the battery, or bad float switch (or combo of all of that I listed).

If your boat is in salt water, do a taste test on the water - dab your finger into it and taste it. If it tastes like salty water then you have a leak from one of your seacocks or other system exposed to the outside body of water. If it tastes fresh then I would look at the draining of a sink or perhaps your water tanks are leaking into the bilge.

good luck on your investigation.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artbyjody; 10-09-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2008
Precocious

Thank you for the reply. I plan on going out in the day light tomorrow to investigate.
Old 10-09-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Got be a switch somewhere, don't you have a panel with cabin light, nav lights, electronics etc,etc ??

The last one you mentioned is a solid waste muncher for when you dicharge poo OB, but that's taboo imho.

You want to hear stupid questions read some of the stuff I asked & still ask.........

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-09-2008

Change that, Jody could be right and it's wire direct to the batt

Old 10-09-2008
Precocious

Thanks I feel like I've gotten some solid info. I'm going to check the wires in the day light.
Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
The only thing that would have been dumb is to not ask and let her sink me thinks...
Old 10-09-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Don't worry about the bilge pump. Find out where the damn water is coming in.

What sort of time scale does it take to fill? A day? A week? A month?

Is the toilet syphoning?