Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2008

myster is on a distinguished road
Alternator wire gauge

My alternator is currently set up to charge my starting battery through the starter on the engine. I'm going to hook up an Echo-Charger, so apparently I need to re-wire the output of the alternator to my house bank.

My question is what size wire do I need for this? The current wire making the short (< 1ft) run to the starter is quite small (12 gauge?). If I'm going to wire the output to the house batteries, do I need to buy a larger gauge wire to make the run ($$$)?

The total run will be around 8 ft (via a bus bar). I think the alternator is a 55 amp.

Also, do I need to include a fuse in the wire? (if so, what size?)

Thanks.

Last edited by myster; 10-09-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Balmar recommends you use at least AWG4 wire for up to a 15ft run. Note that this is the total run, i.e., from the alternator to the battery and back.

ABYC also says a fuse is a good idea. It should be located near the battery, not near the alternator. Size the fuse for at least 140% of the alternator capacity (or about 80A in the case of a 55A alternator).

Here's what Balmar says:

Note: Fusing is designed to protect the boat and its wiring from the constant potential energy stored in the battery, rather than output from the alternator. Fusing should always be installed at the end of a wire or cable run closest to the battery. DO NOT place fusing for the alternator’s output cable at the alternator end of the cable run!
We find that a circuit protection device sized at approximately 140% of your alternator’s rated amperage is typically suitable for the circuit being protected. For more info about circuit fusing, see http://www.bluesea.com/circuit.htm.

Unquote

Bill
Old 10-10-2008

myster is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. I'll have to fork out some $ for cables. Is there a DIY way to make battery cables without having to buy an expensive terminal crimper? I'd hate to purchase an expensive tool for something I'll only be doing once.
Old 10-10-2008

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Blue Sea has a wire size calculator that might help. Google "Blue Sea wire calculator".

Our local chandlery makes up cables using the right tinned multistrand wire, properly crimped, heat shrink. Just need to get the length and lug sizes right for them.
Old 10-10-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I got all my stuff off ebay A guy sells fantastic wire with all the marine ratings and the best heavy duty cable lugs I have ever seen.
He has a hammer crimper that works well. I bought a multi crimper that you hit with a hammer with no brand name that was half the cost of west marine, when it came it was an ANCOR brand. Also buy the triple walled pre glued shrink tubing. Really finishes the job well. The heavy duty stuff did so much better than the thin tubing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.