Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
wcheveron;

I use an old climbing harness and two ascenders. One ascender attaches to the harness and one goes to a footboard that both my feet stay on for ease of standing. I also keep a prusik knot around the mast, as a stopgap should the halyard I climb up fail. The prusiuk loop is clipped to my harness via a locking carabineer. The footboard has two bungee loops to help my feet stay attached to the board.

This system allows me to climb the mast alone with a safety back up. I carry a second sling to make a second prusik sling should I need to and to move above the spreaders. The safety police may freak out but this is what I use all the time and with the footboard I can stay aloft for extended periods. The only thing I do not like are the boaters swinging by to take a look and waking me.

I do tie the halyard off rather than use the shackle. I also cleat the bottom end to keep it nice and tight and reduce initial stretch/swinging. With a second person aboard I have used the spin halyard as a belay run through a block to a winch.

Regards,

LH
Old 10-10-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Ask the Yard Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
Can you go up the mast when the boat is on the hard or is it not advisable. I was thinking of a day with light to no wind.
Some yards may not allow pole dancing on the hard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
thanks for all the input. as far as going up, has anyone used the mastmate or a climbing harness with ascenders. i was also looking at the atn topclimber but the whole static line thing has me confused. if you have to install a dedicated static line for the the atn topclimber, how do you get it through the sheave at the top of the mast and do you have to leave if installed all the time?
my problem is getting help getting up the mast so i'm looking for a way to get up myself. any input would be appreciated.

You have to feed the end of the rope through the top climber, so with shackles you cant. You just add a length of rope. If your mast is 30 ft you get a 50 foot piece feed it into the topclimber, tie the top end to your main halyard and pull it to the top. Secure your main halyard and then tie the other end of the topclimber rope to a cleat. It does not go through a sheave. when you take it down you have a topclimber with rope already to go as it is now pre rigged.
Old 10-12-2008

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
folks I've heard from would not want to trust the knot between main halyard & static line with their weight/life ... the ATN static line recommended is one size bigger than my halyards so advice was to tape/connect it to the main halyard or a messenger line and rig the static line thru the sheave, secured on either end.
Old 10-13-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
thanks for all the input. as far as going up, has anyone used the mastmate or a climbing harness with ascenders. i was also looking at the atn topclimber but the whole static line thing has me confused. if you have to install a dedicated static line for the the atn topclimber, how do you get it through the sheave at the top of the mast and do you have to leave if installed all the time?
my problem is getting help getting up the mast so i'm looking for a way to get up myself. any input would be appreciated.
I've been up the 34 foot mast on my ETAP 26 three times since I bought her in March. The boat came with bosun's chair. I bought a pair of mountain climbing ascenders, about $120 for the pair. I have one tied to the bosun's chair with loop about 1 foot long. The two tail ends are about 3 feet long with carbiners on them. I use the loose ends to clip into the mast as I go up and down. I alternate them around obstructions (spreaders) so I am never dependent on only the halyard I am climbing. I can use any halyard to go up, as long as I also tie off the bottom end, the tighter the easier it is to climb. The second ascender is tied in the middle of a second piece of line. It goes on the halyard below the first ascender. The two ends of the second line end in loops for my feet. This allows me to also spread my feet or wrap my legs around the mast as needed. I added a flattened piece of PVC pipe with grooves for the line on either end to the bottom of the loops. This keeps the loops from crushing the sides of your feet. I slide the first ascender as high as I can reach and sit down in the bosuns chair. Then I raise my feet about a foot and slide up the second ascender. Standing up in the loops I slide the first ascder up again, and sit down in the chair. If you get tired just rest a while and enjoy the view. I wouldn't be afraid to do this even while out on the water. It'd be a bumpy and exciting ride though! Take a digital camera with you. Helps to document the surprises you find up there! Also helps you figure out what to do about it when you are on the ground.

By the way, if you are really cheap you can replace the ascenders with some mountain climbing knots. Fairly easy to make and quite safe, but a little slower going up and down.
Old 10-13-2008

Bobbers2 is on a distinguished road
i wore a harness clipped to the halyard and had my brother winch me up the mast i dunno about the safest way but it worked. i have never climbed a mast while in the water, it feels much more stable to me when on hard. i did have a guy move his truck because he was worried i may fall on it...
Old 12-06-2008
*Hillary's Nightmare!*

RollsRoyce is on a distinguished road
*My Business Is Training Fire-Men & Rescue-Technicians In Rope Rescue Techniques!*

Hello All ... I am a New Member of the forum & with my Background of Confined Space + High and Low Angle Rope Rescue . . . wish to help anyone with Rope & Climbing questions = including Mast Climbing & Man Over-Board Mechanical Advantage System Expertise ...

All Best, ... RR ...

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 12-06-2008 at 04:49 AM.