Going up the mast - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-09-2008 Thread Starter
Detachable member

Going up the mast

Can you go up the mast when the boat is on the hard or is it not advisable. I was thinking of a day with light to no wind.

wchevron
s/v Time Flies
'78 C-30
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
Can you go up the mast when the boat is on the hard or is it not advisable. I was thinking of a day with light to no wind.
FWIW ...My riggers did not want to do it..so waited till splash
post #3 of 17 Old 10-09-2008

I was asking myself the same question - if I fall then I will land on the deck. If the boat happens to be on the hard or on the water should make only a psychological difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-09-2008

Concern might be the weight aloft while on the stands? In the water the boat will heel and thats about all.
If it shifted while on stands it could be disastrous
post #5 of 17 Old 10-09-2008 Thread Starter
Detachable member

gb,
i was thinking about that. i have a winged keel that the marina usually blocks up with wood. i would think most of the weight of the boat is resting on that and the stands, while supporting some weight, are primarily keeping the boat from tipping over. plus, going up on the hard, i would think the weight aloft would be centered on the mast since the boat isn't rocking back and forth.

wchevron
s/v Time Flies
'78 C-30
post #6 of 17 Old 10-09-2008

I wouldn't do it. The stands just brace the hull. Jumping up and down on the deck - you'll feel the boat move unless you have a 50+ footer that weighs a tremendous amount. Consider the size of your boat (weight) and how tall the mast is and how much you weigh. Better yet - you may want to ask the boatyard you are at what they suggest as they may have safety rules that you should follow. . At the yard I use they have a bucket crane they use to get to the mast - obviously for safety reasons I would imagine.

-- Jody

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #7 of 17 Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

My boats heavy at nearly 29,000# and I personally doubt that going aloft on the hard is going to impose any more stress then say 25 to 30 kts of winds put on the masts which happened several times my boat was on the hard..

HOWEVER...it could and Im sure somewhere in the world has happened and hurt or killed someone..not to mention dammage to others boats as well...So...is it worth the risk, is what the Riggers asked me..I agreed..no it was not..We had all the work done in 2 hours aloft once splashed anyway....well mostly that is...I now have to go up and buff out all the guys black soled scuff marks off my newly painted mast..

Id wait ..whats the pressing need by the way?

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-09-2008 at 02:18 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-09-2008

When on the hard, I would take the mast down before I would go up it.
You can check the fittings and mast condition when you do.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-09-2008 Thread Starter
Detachable member

thanks for all the input. as far as going up, has anyone used the mastmate or a climbing harness with ascenders. i was also looking at the atn topclimber but the whole static line thing has me confused. if you have to install a dedicated static line for the the atn topclimber, how do you get it through the sheave at the top of the mast and do you have to leave if installed all the time?
my problem is getting help getting up the mast so i'm looking for a way to get up myself. any input would be appreciated.

wchevron
s/v Time Flies
'78 C-30
post #10 of 17 Old 10-09-2008
I don't discuss my member

Secure the halyard you want to go up at both ends. Then buy a harness and some ascenders. Tie harness to ascenders. Done.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.