Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
How dry is too dry?

This is not a question about martinis!

We recently began using a home-style dehumidifier on our boat (moored at a slip with available power) and so far are impressed with how the boat is dry, and the residual waste heat from the unit is keeping the cabin spaces nicely warm so far. I know we have to maintain a minimum temperature to avoid freeze up, so that may be an issue later when things cool down some more.

We are running it in constant mode - not to an RH setpoint. It is filling the 30 pint reservoir in 3-5 days. I will rig the constant drain into a sink but wanted to monitor the moisture removal rate for a while. Our less-than-guaranteed-accurate humidity gauge is showing approx 30%RH after two weeks of this.

Anyone think there's a danger of getting the interior too dry running it constantly? Seems unlikely especially here where it's going to be raining a fair bit over the winter and the humidity is locally generally pretty high..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Faster..Portugal is a very dry country, we have our boats in real dry conditions and nothing happens..

Mositure is an enemy..dry, is not...you should be OK...I think the drier the better

Side note...I know a guy installed an electric de-humidifier in his boat, and it ate away all his zincs and caused a lot of galvanic corrosion

Alex
Old 10-09-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
If you are going to use a de-humidifier (that collects water); I would think you want to keep the vent ports closed. Otherwise you won't decrease the humidity in the boat very much relative to the outside air. On another note; when I leave the ports open to allow ventilation the oiled teak tends to dry out very quickly where the ports are open. I don't know if a warmer interior during the day would be worse on all of the teak but if you can keep the humidity at or a little above 30% that should be good.

Sounds like your friends 110V system is grounded to the engine (12V) ground Giu. A 110V device in itself should not cause a galvanic problem; but of course I could be wrong.
Old 10-09-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
We're 220V in Europe..

He had the boat all the time connected to shore power..and has 220V, directly from the shore connection to a plug in the salon.. inside the boat...even has a galvanic isolator...

We never figured it out..but were able to conclude it was the de-humidifier, as in the summer, no use for it, the zincs last normal..
Old 10-09-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
In buildings 40-50% rh is often considered to be the ideal range. Over 60% mold can grow and conditions that are too dry can help support dust mites and other allergens. 30% is low but I do not believe it is in the too dry range from a air quality standpoint.

You sure won't be allowing any mold or mildew to form unless you have surfaces where condensation forms - such as in lockers adjacent to the heated parts of the boat.
Old 10-09-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Comfort levels aren't really the issue here.. when we're aboard the de-hi will be off, and the RH levels will be ambient until we leave the boat again. My (slight) concern was with things like drying out wood work that may shrink and open joints.. but in retrospect at 30% we're probably still OK

Keeping mold & mildew away, and cushions dry is the object here.

Thanks all.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-09-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
30% will be fine for the boat. under 30% you can start drying out the the woodwork. even at 40% you would be safe as far as mold & mildew are concerned.
Old 10-10-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Faster- when you get the boat to 30% RH, would you let me know? I want to move into it as I'm getting a little moldy and mildewy myself lately. Thanks, I knew you would understand.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-10-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
I'm no mechanical engineer, but it sounds like your de-humidifier can't dry things out much less than 30% RH no matter how hard it tries.

As water is taken out of the air, past a certain point it takes more energy to take more water out then the thing can deliver, so at or around 30% RH, the thing will run happily but not do anything (no drips from the outlet).

Barring other electrical problems (corrosion, fire, etc.) you should be fine. I'd be more concerned with overheating if you're runing it constantly and it happens to be too big for the cabin space.

The manual "should" give you a minimum room volume and minimum RH (assuming it's not made in Asia).

Cameron
Old 10-10-2008

anthony11 is on a distinguished road
I recently saw a boat for sale that included two units kinda like this:

It was the driest boat I've ever seen, no musty smell, the bilge was spotless and looked like it'd never seen a drop of water in 23 years. Now that I've seen the apparent results, I wonder why everyone with shore power doesn't use one.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.