Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 9
IMO, the PHII is one of the best manual toilets anywhere. I've had one for almost 20 years on my present boat; had one on earlier boats, too.
I'd mention a couple of things:
1. My policy is: ABSOLUTELY NO TOILET PAPER OR OTHER MATERIALS allowed; use all you want, but fold them up and put them in the waste can alongside.
2. To keep the toilet sweet smelling, always pump after using, even just for urinating.
3. Each pumping should consist of:
a. turn the inlet water valve on (1/4 turn counterclockwise);
b. pump slowly but firmly at least 8 times; more for 'heavy loads';
c. close the valve; and
d. pump 2 times to remove most of the water.
4. Occasionally, put a little Chlorox in the bowl, swish it around with a toilet brush, and pump clean water through it (8-10 times). A little white vinegar doesn't hurt, either...helps clean out the pipes.
5. Lubricate the shaft on the pump, using Vaseline or other lubricant.
Those steps will keep the head working well.
Hint on rebuilding: sometimes it's just better to ante up a bit more cash and buy the whole pump assembly. You can find them online for less than you'd imagine. Makes the chore easier, and the toilet will work like new.