Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
RARITAN PHII Standard Hand Toilet

I just rebuilt my head today..and Im disappointed in its operation...It actually dosent seem much better..

Maybe I just don't understand the principal that well.

Are you supposed to be able to fill the bowl with some water and have it stay there or is it supposed to constantly be removed no mater what you do.

The "Dry' position removes water and dosent let any in..the "Flush" position lets water in and removes it at the same time.

There seems to be a hit and miss infusion of water while pumping like its loosing prime it was doing this befor and was on of the reasons I rebuilt it...Im wondering if the actual cylinder walls of the pump are just shot and even the new seals cant help it any more... they felt OK..

Anyway if someone would be kind enough to jot out there thoughts that would be great...Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I

Are you supposed to be able to fill the bowl with some water and have it stay there or is it supposed to constantly be removed no mater what you do.

The "Dry' position removes water and dosent let any in..the "Flush" position lets water in and removes it at the same time.
It works like that. However, depends on the position of the handle used to pump. If in the up position the bowl will fill with water and nothing goes out. Down position - flushes out the water and rinses. If pump handle is kept in upmost position and you are sailing and lever is on flush - when you heel on that side it will allow water in constantly and flood the head. This is also how you fill the bowl so you can do the #2 and have it flushed out without a mess.Always have them place in dry position and pump handle down.

Quote:
There seems to be a hit and miss infusion of water while pumping like its loosing prime it was doing this befor and was on of the reasons I rebuilt it...Im wondering if the actual cylinder walls of the pump are just shot and even the new seals cant help it any more... they felt OK..
Sometimes that happens. If air is in the system it takes a bit to work up enough vacumn to get water from the salt water intake. You could plumb it so it runs off your fresh water system as well. I find a couple of quick strokes then slower ones does the trick.

Quote:
Anyway if someone would be kind enough to jot out there thoughts that would be great...Thanks
Hope that helps?

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Yes somewhat Jody thanks ..However mine will not Just fill up with the handel in the up position even with the valve turned to flush..this is what puzzles me..how do you get water in there with out pumping which in turn discharges any pumped in..as you say #2 would need water in the bowl to not stink or be messy...it seems to defy my pea-brain
Old 10-09-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
IMO, the PHII is one of the best manual toilets anywhere. I've had one for almost 20 years on my present boat; had one on earlier boats, too.

I'd mention a couple of things:

1. My policy is: ABSOLUTELY NO TOILET PAPER OR OTHER MATERIALS allowed; use all you want, but fold them up and put them in the waste can alongside.

2. To keep the toilet sweet smelling, always pump after using, even just for urinating.

3. Each pumping should consist of:

a. turn the inlet water valve on (1/4 turn counterclockwise);
b. pump slowly but firmly at least 8 times; more for 'heavy loads';
c. close the valve; and
d. pump 2 times to remove most of the water.

4. Occasionally, put a little Chlorox in the bowl, swish it around with a toilet brush, and pump clean water through it (8-10 times). A little white vinegar doesn't hurt, either...helps clean out the pipes.

5. Lubricate the shaft on the pump, using Vaseline or other lubricant.

Those steps will keep the head working well.

Hint on rebuilding: sometimes it's just better to ante up a bit more cash and buy the whole pump assembly. You can find them online for less than you'd imagine. Makes the chore easier, and the toilet will work like new.

Bill
Old 10-09-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Yes somewhat Jody thanks ..However mine will not Just fill up with the handel in the up position even with the valve turned to flush..this is what puzzles me..how do you get water in there with out pumping which in turn discharges any pumped in..as you say #2 would need water in the bowl to not stink or be messy...it seems to defy my pea-brain

Place in Flush Mode... Do a couple primer pumps. Then do one long (slow) upwind pump from the down position. Wait for it - literally - it still swirl around some water as it slow stops and fill the bottom.

Sometimes , the intake hose can get clogged with calcium / other deposits and thus not the full volume of water comes through. In which case either next time you tear apart clean the hose with one of those fiberous things or in the meantime just keep a cup in the head and let them fill it up that way. Usually, if its pumping - and able to push stuff out - it leads to the intake hose since usually that seacock is always open and that hose just sits with that sea water in it growing stuff...

The latter may explain the issue you are having better actually (but I could be wrong)

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 10-09-2008
Handsome devil

Bingo...I've got it now..Thanks my friend.