Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-16-2008

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
You can also purchase it at any heating and air conditioning (HVAC) supply store. We use it to seal high pressure duct flanges for an air tight joint. Grey in color.
1976 #552
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Here's why I like butyl tape

This is a cut-a-way photo i made of a section of deck that I first potted with epoxy then countersunk. I then wrapped butyl tape around the bolt head, tightened it down and left it there for a while. I then loosened the bolt and began pushing up from the bottom. There is no movement on a boat, with a mechanically fastened deck fitting, that will even come close to that amount of flex and stress on a sealant.

Remember this stuff has very low adhesive properties, unlike 5200, 4200 or any other caulk tube type sealant, and cleans up quite easily with paint thinner. Adhesion is not necessarily needed flexibility is! This stuff will out stretch and out flex any caulk tube sealant you can buy in a marine store..

Of course you must always bevel or countersink the deck side so you can fit more sealant in the gap. The more sealant the more allowable flex. If you look close you can see the beveled edge.

Yes I finally got sick of trying to describe the process of potting holes and countersinking so I took some pictures.

Stretch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-04-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Maine Sail-

Nice photo... very illustrative of the properties of butyl sealant. Glass shops usually carry it btw... but usually only in the black.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-04-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
A source for the grey butyl tape

I looked all over Long Island, calling a bunch of RV stores, and finally gave up. I ordered mine from The Sportsman's Guide (an amazon.com seller) for less than $10, shipping included.
Old 11-05-2008

xsboats is on a distinguished road
I use butyl tape while vacuum bagging. I get it from a roofing supply store. It is used on standing seam metal roofing to seal the seam between sheets. Much cheaper than the specialty vendors of bagging supplies.
Old 03-12-2009

mepsnbarry is on a distinguished road
Butyl tape and visqueen beats tarps and tape for staying dry

We are currently living on a boat with all portlights and one hatch removed. Replacing them is taking longer than expected. Meanwhile, we've had sleet, snow, rainstorms, and temperatures in the 20's.

We are snug and dry, thanks to butyl tape and visqueen plastic.

Here's what we did: We cut a piece of plastic to fit over each opening. We formed a long skinny "snake" of butyl and put it around the perimeter of the plastic, then stuck it on. It's quick to put on and take off (we use a dull razor blade to get it started), so we can put it on at night and take it off while we're working. Unlike tape, it doesn't leave residue and we just keep using the same piece over and over.

This would work for just about any large opening or deck repair.

For small holes, just make a ball of butyl and stick it over the hole.

The only downside to this solution is that when you have hail, it's like living in a large, noisy drum! But it holds up just fine.

- limericks, essays, and photos by Meps 'n' Barry

- recipes for cooks at sea and on land
Old 03-12-2009

I'll be re-bedding my bow pulpit soon and I have a question on the application of the butyl tape. Obviously it goes around the bolts as per Maine Sail's instructions.
But would you also cover the entire bottom of the plate base with strips of it? I don't see why this would be needed if the bolt holes are sealed with it. Your thoughts..
1976 #552
Old 03-12-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Yes

Yes I cover the entire base of the fitting then tighten it down. It's best to wait for a hot day and the butyl will compress easier.. The problem with us NE boaters is that water can get under a fitting and expand and yuo don't want that so it's best to seal the entire base. Get the thin flat butyl tape. I think mine is 1/16" thick if I am not mistaken.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-13-2009

Thanks Maine Sail. My tape is about the same. About 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick, gray. I can heat the surface and SS with a heat lamp before I pull everything tight with the bolts. I bed my topside teak hand rails last year and still had some squeeze out the joint during the summer. Easy to remove.
1976 #552
Old 03-13-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I think the butyl I have is more like 1/8". I'd love it if it was 1/16" as half of it squeezes out--but at least at that point you can be pretty sure you've got a great seal there.

A couple of things about butyl I've found lately:

* When working on an overhead bolt that hangs straight down, a dot of butyl on a washer will hold it there temporarily while you are trying to get that nut on there.
* Mineral spirits gets it off your fingers and other surfaces if necessary. This is especially handy when your fingers have reached critical mass of stickiness, turning you into spider man.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright