Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-13-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yes I cover the entire base of the fitting then tighten it down. It's best to wait for a hot day and the butyl will compress easier.. The problem with us NE boaters is that water can get under a fitting and expand and yuo don't want that so it's best to seal the entire base. Get the thin flat butyl tape. I think mine is 1/16" thick if I am not mistaken.
I concur completely. I am on Lake Ontario, so while we don't have the salt, our freeze/thaw cycles are as brutal as Maine's if not worse (we are enjoying one today, for instance!).

I got hit at dock by a Peterson 37, the crew of which had loosened the nut on the wheel in preparation for a winter haulout...BEFORE they had motored there...anyway, one of my stern quarter extrusions had been bashed and needed to be removed for rewelding and anodizing. So when I got my wife back in the stern with a rachet and undid the afflicted piece, I noticed it was fully bedded in grey butyl tape.

My boat was 33 years old at the time, and this stuff was "live" in the sense of being seemingly fresh!

Not being one to argue with success, when I redid the job, I redid the butyl tape the exact same way, but with separately bedded and new bolts and fender washers. It looks great and there will always be a place aboard my boats for this half-forgotten but very versatile product.
Old 03-26-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
This butyl tape thread is very interesting. Last Autumn I removed my grab rails for refinishing (looked like they had not been removed since my Islander was built in 1984). Who put them on used something red that worked like glue (and is now hard as a rock). No clue what that was.

I've been wondering what to use to reattach my grab rails to the deck. What do you think? Is butyl tape the best product given the roughness of the wood?

DaCap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009

Blowfish is on a distinguished road
I have a some questions about beveling. To create the bevel are you simply using an oversized drill bit to countersink or is there some other method? Having never drilled through gelcoat I am concerned about chipping.

Also, are you beveling all holes (including those under chainplates, stanchions, etc.)?

thanks!
Old 04-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, butyl tape should work quite well for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
This butyl tape thread is very interesting. Last Autumn I removed my grab rails for refinishing (looked like they had not been removed since my Islander was built in 1984). Who put them on used something red that worked like glue (and is now hard as a rock). No clue what that was.

I've been wondering what to use to reattach my grab rails to the deck. What do you think? Is butyl tape the best product given the roughness of the wood?

DaCap
If you're using a good countersink bit, run it in reverse so you don't countersink too large a hole... It won't chip the gel coat if it is run in reverse either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
I have a some questions about beveling. To create the bevel are you simply using an oversized drill bit to countersink or is there some other method? Having never drilled through gelcoat I am concerned about chipping.

Also, are you beveling all holes (including those under chainplates, stanchions, etc.)?

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Hm, I need to rebed my traveler and car tracks. I was going to use 3M 101, but it sounds like butyl will be lots easier. Thanks for the thread!
Old 04-25-2009

So if the car track is 3/4 inches wide, is it best to use 3/4 inch wide tape, or 1/2 inch tape? I am guessing that when the bolts are tightened, the tape compresses and oozes out a certain amount...
Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Use the 3/4" wide tape if you've got it... makes applying it simpler. Cleaning up butyl tape excess is really easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
So if the car track is 3/4 inches wide, is it best to use 3/4 inch wide tape, or 1/2 inch tape? I am guessing that when the bolts are tightened, the tape compresses and oozes out a certain amount...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Use the 3/4" wide tape if you've got it... makes applying it simpler. Cleaning up butyl tape excess is really easy.
Nah, I don't have any, i was about to order some and was trying to decide what size. I'll get some of each At $3.50 a roll, ya can't have too much!
Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28

Yes, it is probably the least expensive and most versatile of the sealants. As I said in my nutshell post, the fact that it doesn't have a cure time makes it very good for doing genoa tracks and traveller tracks... which are often long enough that doing it by yourself with a quick curing more adhesive sealant is a real PITA.

Quote:
Nah, I don't have any, i was about to order some and was trying to decide what size. I'll get some of each At $3.50 a roll, ya can't have too much!

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-26-2009

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Went by the local Marine store the otherday,and they have butyl tape, but it is $21/roll. Off to the RV Center one afternoon this week!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.