Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I bought a portable sand blaster for a previous boat that worked really well. It was great for cleaning out the old paint in the non skid. I use it for all kinds of stuff now.

They don't make mine any more but it was similar to this one . . .

Northern Industrial Abrasive Blaster with FREE U.S. Patented Deadman Handle — 5-Gallons | Portable Abrasive Blasters | Northern Tool + Equipment

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2008

olepedersen@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
On my thirty year old boat, I use a household product available in most grocery stores tilex mildew remover, in a spray bottle I do 3 steps . 1 pressure wash the decks well, and let completely dry.2spray one area with tilex , scrub nonskid with a stiff deck brush leave till almost dry then pressure wash off. works for me Ole
Old 10-16-2008

SiXeVeN is on a distinguished road
Sandblasting... hmmm. That might actually work. Messy but would get into all those little pits and get them scrubbed out. I could then powerwash out the grit and prime/paint. I'll have to look into that.

BTW, I called a local boat painter and he said he would have to sand flat the molded in non-skid and then paint it with Interdex. Also said it would be major $$$ (of course )

I liked this molded in nonskid when the boat was new but now it is a huge PITA!!!
Old 10-16-2008
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
I am taking a similar approach to heinzir. He is using Durabak which I looked at but decided to go with Kiwi Grip. I have heard great reviews and hoping for good results. Good cleaning, lots of taping and then just put it down.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Old 10-16-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXeVeN View Post
Sandblasting... hmmm. That might actually work.
True sandblasting is a bit harsh... and potentially damaging. Most use soda blasting as a more controlled way of removal, and even that can remove gelcoat. Retclt's sandblaster setup could probably do it, just use a gentler medium. At work we use a glass beader to clean parts - another "gentle" sandblaster application.

If you use a "sandblaster" I'd practice at a distance and see how effective it is and whether or not you actually remove material, rather than just dirt and grime.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think pressure washing is far safer than any type of material blasting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-17-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
One of our neighbors in the boatyard had to recore his entire deck. When done, he put treadmaster down as non-skid. It's a little pricey, but glued down easy and looked great. He used a color similar to the pain Banshi used.
Old 10-18-2008
"OLD SALT"

easygoing is on a distinguished road
I've the same problem. I was told to use cool seal compound like used on a roof of a house trailer. I will let you know if it works and what it looks like.LOL

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Old 10-19-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
True sandblasting is a bit harsh... and potentially damaging. Most use soda blasting as a more controlled way of removal, and even that can remove gelcoat. Retclt's sandblaster setup could probably do it, just use a gentler medium. At work we use a glass beader to clean parts - another "gentle" sandblaster application.

If you use a "sandblaster" I'd practice at a distance and see how effective it is and whether or not you actually remove material, rather than just dirt and grime.

You're right Faster. Sand blasting can be harsh if you aren't smart about it. I’m speaking from my own experience only. You can use as low or high a pressure as you want. I had deep molded in nonskid and when using 40psi and fine playground sand (3 bucks a 40lb bag) I had an incredibly clean paint removal with no harm to the original 40 year old finish underneath. It was also so fast and easy a cave man could do it.

Soda blasting is very popular lately. If I ever do it again I'll probably go that route. The key is to use the finest media you can find. I sifted my playground sand for the occasional larger pebble. I bought a can of glass bead (so fine it feels cool when you stick your fingers into it) for cleaning old metal parts, spark plugs etc. The blaster is a fun little toy . . . and a back saver.

Forgot to add . . . . . . . the sandblasted nonskid was the perfect prep for paint.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White

Last edited by retclt; 10-19-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
more on KiwiGrip

I recently posted to Buying A Boat forum with details on the Kiwi Grip product:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...on-31-2-a.html

The post includes a link to a photo site with a deck completely done with this product. Take a look.