Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANCORALATINA View Post
You should consider that 90% of the time, sailors are anchoring with winds lower than 20 knots, sometime gusting to 30.

Within these conditions, fortunately (nearly) all anchors are good, and CQR owners, Bruce owners, are all satisfied.

Some (or many) manufacturers suggest the size of their anchors for winds up to 30 knots!..

Anchoring in “extreme” conditions is another game: hard sand like “concrete” of the Med, gravel, weed like the “cachiyuyo” we have on the “far South” - Nasty squalls “williwaws”.. In these conditions, nearly ALL anchors from the previous century (Danforth – CQR – Bruce) have difficulties for setting and are frequently dragging..

As a manufacturer of anchors, I’m not allowed on this forum to give freely my opinion, but I’m also writing on many others “more open” forums.
Actually, we more than welcome your opinion... we just don't welcome you or any other manufacturer pushing their own product....that's called advertising, and if you want to do that...pay for it.

Quote:
Selecting oversized anchors should be one of the solutions, but extra weight on the bow is a BAD solution. Modern anchors give a much higher holding for a much lower weight..
I’m very surprised to read comments like the one of “senior member” GBurton: “Interesting that the Rocna site says nothing about rocks.... »

No one experienced sailor will compare anchors in Rock, either your anchor will wedge itself between two rocks and you will not be able to recover it (and quite often this is the chain itself which will be bloked between rocks).. or the anchor will not set at all..
It depends on whether GBurton was talking about rocky conditions or solid rock... I've anchored in areas where the mud had large rocks in it... not too difficult to find such conditions given that most of Cape Cod and Buzzards Bay are formed from the glacier tailings.

Quote:
Fisherman anchors ? Keep them for your backyard, any lump of metal wedged between two rocks will be as efficient. Weight for weight, compared to the modern anchors, the « fisherman » is just RIDICULOUS »..

Keep talking and comparing “previous century” anchors.. the world in moving and “new generation” anchors give more security to “open minded” sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
As a manufacturer of anchors, I’m not allowed on this forum to give freely my opinion, but I’m also writing on many others “more open” forums.
I suspect it's more likely that you're not allowed to advertise, you're required to be respectful of your competition (even if they're lower-cost "clones") and you must always disclose that you're an anchor manufacturer/representative when the subject is anchors, so readers can take that into account. Otherwise I'm pretty certain your comments are welcome--particularly if you have a really bitchin' new design that results in an anchor that isn't overly bulky, doesn't weigh a ton, sets quickly and easily in any bottom, holds like it was bedded in concrete, resets quickly and positively on wind/tide/current shifts, doesn't drag, is easy to release, doesn't haul a half-a-ton of muddy bottom up with it, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Jim
Old 10-15-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
So which anchor do you recommend anyway? You might want to change your avatar

Quote:
You should consider that 90% of the time, sailors are anchoring with winds lower than 20 knots, sometime gusting to 30.

Within these conditions, fortunately (nearly) all anchors are good, and CQR owners, Bruce owners, are all satisfied.

Some (or many) manufacturers suggest the size of their anchors for winds up to 30 knots!..

Anchoring in “extreme” conditions is another game: hard sand like “concrete” of the Med, gravel, weed like the “cachiyuyo” we have on the “far South” - Nasty squalls “williwaws”.. In these conditions, nearly ALL anchors from the previous century (Danforth – CQR – Bruce) have difficulties for setting and are frequently dragging..

Selecting oversized anchors should be one of the solutions, but extra weight on the bow is a BAD solution. Modern anchors give a much higher holding for a much lower weight..
I’m very surprised to read comments like the one of “senior member” GBurton: “Interesting that the Rocna site says nothing about rocks.... »

No one experienced sailor will compare anchors in Rock, either your anchor will wedge itself between two rocks and you will not be able to recover it (and quite often this is the chain itself which will be bloked between rocks).. or the anchor will not set at all..

Fisherman anchors ? Keep them for your backyard, any lump of metal wedged between two rocks will be as efficient. Weight for weight, compared to the modern anchors, the « fisherman » is just RIDICULOUS »..

Keep talking and comparing “previous century” anchors.. the world in moving and “new generation” anchors give more security to “open minded” sailors.
Old 10-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
GBurton...he recommends his OWN. He is not allowed to do that here unless he does it in a paid for ad. He has been warned several times. His competitor is sitting on the sidelines right now for similar activity.
Old 10-15-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
You might want to change your avatar
That's a good one. It took me a minute, but I got it.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-15-2008

Got it Cam - which one is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
GBurton...he recommends his OWN. He is not allowed to do that here unless he does it in a paid for ad. He has been warned several times. His competitor is sitting on the sidelines right now for similar activity.
Old 10-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Got it Cam - which one is that?
LOL!

Google is your friend, GBurton. Try this: Another Funny-Lookin' Anchor.

Jim
Old 10-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Duh!
Old 10-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Y'know, Cam, this is SailNet's house, and I realize I'm only a guest, but I gotta tell ya: I'm pretty sure this is the only web forum in which I participate that actively discourages manufactures' reps from participating. Seems kind of counter-productive - just to maybe make a buck or two off somebody for possibly a short while.

Jim
Old 10-15-2008

Aaah ....ok thanks. Never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
LOL!

Google is your friend, GBurton. Try this: Another Funny-Lookin' Anchor.

Jim