Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Semi...this is a COMMERCIAL forum run by the sailnet store owners AND advertising helps pay for the site. We actively encourage VENDORS to answer QUESTIONS about their products from members and contribute EXPERTISE and share FACTS. We do NOT encourage free marketing efforts or advertising pitches or disparagement of competitors (some of whom may be advertisers on this site.) Hope that makes the policy a bit more clear. These "anchor guys" are notorious on many of the other forums. That is not going to happen here.

It is much less about making a buck or two (though allowing some to advertise for free while others pay is important) ...and very much a conscious decision about the character and nature of the dialog and what we want it to be here. Anyway...that is the reasoning behind the vendor rules here.
Old 10-15-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Fisherman Anchors?

Hey, don't knock the fisherman anchor. I have an 8 lb fisherman on my boat and won't leave home without it! I clip it on my anchor rode with about 10 feet of 1/4 inch nylon tied to the bow roller, and let it drop. Here on the Mississippi we frequently have current downstream and wind upstream. Sometimes that makes the boat wander, and one can wake up in the morning with 4 turns of anchor rode around the keel! The fisherman anchor keeps the rode several feet below the keel, so my boat drifts OVER it! Well, I guess a window sash weight would work as well! Or a brick, if I can figure out how to tie it!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the only web forum in which I participate that actively discourages manufactures' reps from participating.
Ummm Sailnet does NOT discourage manufacturers from participating in fact they welcome them! As long as the Craig Smith's or AnchorLatina's of the world can participate in a forum without hawking or selling their product they are more than welcome to engage in dialect! They rarely participate though without it going down the road of my product is better and you should buy it and this product sucks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Seems kind of counter-productive - just to maybe make a buck or two off somebody for possibly a short while.
While we all enjoy these FREE forums, that we are FREE to use, they must be paid for through advertising or sales. If Sailnet did not have these policies it would be a blood bath of manufactureres and there would be no sailors left.

Every forum I use in the sailing community has strict guidelines that forbid selling products in the forums..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
rtd-

what you're doing is using the fisherman's anchor as a kellet. any heavy weight can serve as a kellet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
Hey, don't knock the fisherman anchor. I have an 8 lb fisherman on my boat and won't leave home without it! I clip it on my anchor rode with about 10 feet of 1/4 inch nylon tied to the bow roller, and let it drop. Here on the Mississippi we frequently have current downstream and wind upstream. Sometimes that makes the boat wander, and one can wake up in the morning with 4 turns of anchor rode around the keel! The fisherman anchor keeps the rode several feet below the keel, so my boat drifts OVER it! Well, I guess a window sash weight would work as well! Or a brick, if I can figure out how to tie it!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
You big suckup. Pushing hard for that modship eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Ummm Sailnet does NOT discourage manufacturers from participating in fact they welcome them! As long as the Craig Smith's or AnchorLatina's of the world can participate in a forum without hawking or selling their product they are more than welcome to engage in dialect! They rarely participate though without it going down the road of my product is better and you should buy it and this product sucks..

While we all enjoy these FREE forums, that we are FREE to use, they must be paid for through advertising or sales. If Sailnet did not have these policies it would be a blood bath of manufactureres and there would be no sailors left.

Every forum I use in the sailing community has strict guidelines that forbid selling products in the forums..
Old 10-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Actually NO WAY! I'm already a mod on another sailing forum. The last thing I need is another MOD job..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-15-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Just kidding
Old 10-16-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
MS strikes me as sane, and no sane person that's ever moderated a discussion forum before ever purposefully angles to do so again. Trust me.

Jim
Old 10-16-2008

ANCORALATINA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is the only web forum in which I participate that actively discourages manufactures' reps from participating. Seems kind of counter-productive –

Paying to advertise is a choice. But paid advertising must also generate a return of investment.
This particular thread has been viewed (as of today) by 1,688 people.

Considering that approximately each people was looking about five times at this thread, we can deduce that 340 sailor could have read an advertising posted there.

The profile of the « mean » sailor who is participating to this thread is VERY CONSERVATIVE, talking about products developed more than 80 years ago such as CQR, Danforth or Bruce anchors, (not talking about the Fisherman!) or about “kellets”!. This is a perfect mirror of the Sailnet's “Anchor Locker”. Very few forumnites are considering « New gen » Anchors.

As nobody (or very few) participants are aware of new developments, nobody could talk about them and/or give explanation of why they are different of, why they are better.

As Manufacturers are NOT WELCOME to talk about their products and to explain why they have developed a new product and which characteristics are better than the ones of the competition, the forum will always stay VERY CONSERVATIVE, talking endlessly about the same « old generation » products.
Therefore it will not be at all interesting to advertise here! Also considering that they are many other forums where the « ambiance » is completely different, and where the moderators are much more open minded.

Question? How much will it cost to advertise on this forum and what will be the return of investment??
Will Sailnet add a new product line to their very conservative catalog of anchors?

An Outstanding product will advertise by itself. Wait and then you could learn more about « new products » => on other nautical forums !!!
Old 10-16-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANCORALATINA View Post
Paying to advertise is a choice. But paid advertising must also generate a return of investment.
It is the same for any business. But if you conclude that paying to advertise is not worth the investment, the alternative is that you don't advertise at all in that media. You can't choose to simply advertise for FREE. No publication allows that.

Quote:
The profile of the « mean » sailor who is participating to this thread is VERY CONSERVATIVE, talking about products developed more than 80 years ago such as CQR, Danforth or Bruce anchors, (not talking about the Fisherman!) or about “kellets”!. This is a perfect mirror of the Sailnet's “Anchor Locker”. Very few forumnites are considering « New gen » Anchors.
But most of us have these anchors already, purchased long before the "new" generation of anchors was developed. They have and continue to provide good holding in a variety of conditions. They probably won't wear out in our lifetime.

If you have good tires on your car, with 50,000 miles of tread-wear remaining, that do everything you ask of them -- would you run out and replace them simply because Michelin claims they have developed a much better tire?

Quote:
As nobody (or very few) participants are aware of new developments, nobody could talk about them and/or give explanation of why they are different of, why they are better.
We are well aware of them. There are numerous threads here on Sailnet and elsewhere that discuss them ad nauseum. But sailors can never seem to get enough on anchors, so I'm sure the discussion will continue.

Quote:
Question? How much will it cost to advertise on this forum and what will be the return of investment??
I don't have those figures. You can inquire with SailNet and make your own judgement. But you do not have the option of advertising for free. Those are the rules here.

Quote:
Will Sailnet add a new product line to their very conservative catalog of anchors?
Maybe. But probably not if you harass them.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-16-2008 at 11:13 AM.