Join Date: Oct 2007
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Dremel works well
I have an update on this project. First of all, thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I had a balsa core in this section of deck, but it must be concrete! It laughs at bent nails and Allen wrenches! Guess it can't be too soft! The good news is, I found a "high speed cutter" (Dremel #199) in my Dremel to be very effective. I drilled the oversize hole with a 3/8" forstner bit wich allowed me to keep the bottom skin intact. I then hogged out the core with the Dremel and a shop vac. I found that if I used the shop vac with the Dremel, I could watch the dust and control how high or low I went (not to mention, control the mess). When I saw white dust (firberglass), I would stop. The Dremel bit would get hot and smoke a little, but I was able to do about 30 holes per bit. The result was uniform holes in the core, a 1/4" larger than the hole in the deck (1/2" overall"), with minimal impact on the upper and lower skins.
Last edited by L124C; 03-04-2010 at 12:38 AM.