Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Paul...if not involved in racing, why would a cruiser choose rod rigging? Curious as to if there are any advantages.
Old 10-15-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
and even when racing sometimes it's really not worth it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
It seems to me it'd screw with light air Jib trim.
Old 10-15-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
From what it was explained to me, as I was going to go with some kind of synthetic on the replacement of the rod rigging. I opted to replace mine:

1. even though there is nothing visibily wrong with the previous rod rigging (original to the boat), the drawback is that especially with a furler installed - there really is no way to check for fatigue of the rod.

2. Needed smaller turnbuckles - and as SD pointed out, near impossible to swage on a new fitting without damaging the point of attachment at the rod.

Synthetic is prone to lots more chafe, even though it can be subjected to more load. Wire I am replacing because I have already had instances of it failing at undesirable time.

Rod is bit stronger and offers greater chafe protection overall.

That is how I understand at least...and why I replaced my rod with well rod...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Jody...but my question was really to ask about rod vs. wire rigging.
I would never get rod if I were cruising outside of the country...just wondering if there are advantages to it vs. wire for anyone doing USA coastal cruising and not racing.
I had mine all replaced with new wire and stayloc type fittings for ease of repair/fabrication abroad...but the discussion of rod for anything other than racing is new to me. I am wondering why a world cruiser like Valiant is choosing rod as mentioned above. I was unaware of this and it seems rather bizarre for a boat intended as a world cruiser.
Old 10-15-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
There is a lot of good reading on navtec's sight

They rate correctly sized rod for 10 year/40000 mile checkups

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-15-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
It seems to me it'd screw with light air Jib trim.

Nope...no difference really...in fact in light air it may help, too much sag and luff curvature increases drag in light air, more than it provides lift.
Old 10-15-2008

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
As far as jerry rigging goes, if your wire uses manual fittings, such as Stayloks, then doing proper full repairs in remote locations is easier with wire over rod. If your rigging uses swage fittings, then you are in an equivalent problem, rod or wire. As far as temporay repairs using high-tech line, the two are effectively equivalent.

Rod has advantages over wire, even for cruising. Remember that rod is not some new race riggings. It has been around for many, many years, with the hard core racers using much newer technology.
Rod is:
1. lighter for the same strength. Weight in the rig is important for a cruiser.
2. lower windage for the same strength
3. Rod is smooth and polished, so it does not degrade from air pollution, etc, as much as grooved wire - i.e. longer life
4. A rod rig is probably easier to thoroughly inspect than a wire system -- arguablly.
5. Rod is more expensive than wire.

Paul L
Old 10-15-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Wow, did this thread get hijacked to the wire vs rod theme, or what?

Like Jody, I replaced my rod with rod (we're talking rigging here). I was somewhat concerned when I did this because I plan on cruising from Calif to Florida. My thinking was that rod would provide better strength, seems to last a bit longer, and is less prone to corrosion. What I've heard is rod seldom fails. When it does go, it goes without any warning or signs. The wire, in wire rigging, seldom fails as well. It's the swage fittings or the wire corroding inside the fittings that usually goes. I'm not a rigger, but this is what I've heard.

Now back to the original question... I have never heard of "solid" rigging except maybe carbon-fiber. We're not really sure what Va3wmh was taking about, especially since this was the first post Va3wmh has made. Likely, it was rod rigging. Assuming this, the best advice I can give is to contact a local rigging shop. When I replaced my rigging, I was the first one the boatyard had heard of going rod for rod, everyone previous that originally had rod left with wire rigging. Cost was likely the biggest factor.

Hope this helps Va3wmh.

Skipper, J/36 “Zero Tolerance”
Old 10-15-2008
moderate?

Thanks for the good summary Paul.

Sorry if this is hijacked J36ZT...but I thought the original question had been asked and answered several times.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.