Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I had rod rigging on a previous boat years ago and had no problems with it other than tuning the rig is more difficult and probably not manageble for the amateur. I'd have it again if it weren't so expensive.

My interest in this thread is I trust the OP is replacing part of a rod-rigged vessel's rigging and not mixing rod with wire. I'm pretty sure that would be dodgy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My understanding is that rod rigging is actually harder to inspect as it gives little, if any, warning prior to failing. Wire rigging generally will meathook and break strands before it fails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2008

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
My understanding is that rod rigging is actually harder to inspect as it gives little, if any, warning prior to failing. Wire rigging generally will meathook and break strands before it fails.
I guess it comes down a little to what you mean by inspection. If you are seeing meat hooks in wire, then I'd say you went to far before doing a thorough inspection. You can drop rod rigging and use an inspection dye on all the rod heads. If rod is going to go, it is the cracks in the heads that will most likely go. Like wire rigging, you are more likely to suffer a rigging failure in a one of the connecting components, such as a turnbuckle, a toggle etc.

On the Navtec site is a good description of what a thorough inspection of rod rigging should entail. This is the kind of inspection I was referring to. Something that might be done before setting off on a long voyage while setting up a cruising boat. The walk around the boat and look at the rigging type inspection is another story.

Paul L
Old 10-15-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
My interest in this thread is I trust the OP is replacing part of a rod-rigged vessel's rigging and not mixing rod with wire. I'm pretty sure that would be dodgy.
I believe that the FURLEX provides a wire forestay w/norseman type terminal with their furlers - in the belief that wire better suits the furling scenario. It would not be unusual for such a furler to be installed on a boat that otherwise has rod rigging...

We had rod rigging on a previous boat - and had two failures in 12 years. One due to a procedural error by an unknown rigger - the other due to inadequate maintenance/inspection.
In the first case a deck stay (between mast step and deck) failed because the cold formed end had actually been welded to the fitting. In the second, the cold formed end and its fitting had dried out and essentially siezed in place.

Rod rigging that has been released immediately goes into a bit of a spiral (it is stored in a large radius coil) It does not lay straight on the ground. This "spiral" tendency means that as the stay loads/unloads there's actually a torsional "twist" that should be absorbed in the fitting - ie the cold formed end needs to be able to "move/rotate" a little. If this does not occur, the rod will fatigue and fail from the repeated twisting as it leaves the fitting.

In both our failures, this was the cause. In the first case the rod had been welded, in the other the socket seized up - the result was the same. Fortunately for us we saved the rig on both occasions - and after the second event spent some considerable time inspecting and freeing/lubing the remaining rod ends.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-15-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2008

va3wmh is on a distinguished road
Not Rod - my mistake

Sorry, I guess the item I'm talking about is rarer than I'd hoped and I didn't specify. What I have is a sold forestay which for most of it's length, i.e., except the bottom and top ends, is about one inch wide by 3/8 inch thick in an approximately flat oval shape. However each edge is slotted to hold the boltrope on the luff of my foresails. I'd provide a picture if I could figure out how.

I'm located in eastern Ontario Canada and what has happened is my forestay was bent about 90 degrees when it was stored on my boat on the hard when it was caught by the shroud of a passing day sailer being towed to be launched.

Thank you all for contributing and I learned a bit about rod rigging. However I'm still looking for a supplier and any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
What you're talking about is a headfoil. There are several brands available, Tuffluff (generally plastic) and others. The one you describe with a slot fore and aft is an older style, I forget the namebrand. It's not as user friendly as newer foils which have both grooves facing aft.

Your forestay should run inside the foil... its unlikely that the foil is acting as the forestay itself, but I believe there were such versions.

Since it's damaged I'd suggest going to a rigger and replacing it with a more modern version, of which several makes are available. If you indeed have a combined foil/stay, you'd really be better off replacing it with a conventional forestay and foil (or furler if you want). You likely won't find a direct replacement new.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 10-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, as faster said, what you've got is an aluminum foil over what is probably wire rigging if the rest of the boat is wire, rod if the rest of the boat is rod...

If the forestay is integral or has swaged fittings, you're probably going to have to replace it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-16-2008
Just another Moderator

IIRC (and not sure I do) the combined stay/foil such as you describe was made by Streamstay.... Don't believe they are made anymore.

You'll be happier with a newer version, which I assume the other guys insurance (or the yards) will pay for...

Old 10-16-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
You're not likely to be able to seperate the damaged/bent foil from the wire forestay. Find a local rigger and install a new forestay and foil. (Keep the old damaged one. It will help with measurements for the new.)
Old 10-16-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3wmh View Post
Sorry, I guess the item I'm talking about is rarer than I'd hoped and I didn't specify. What I have is a sold forestay which for most of it's length, i.e., except the bottom and top ends, is about one inch wide by 3/8 inch thick in an approximately flat oval shape. However each edge is slotted to hold the boltrope on the luff of my foresails. I'd provide a picture if I could figure out how.

I'm located in eastern Ontario Canada and what has happened is my forestay was bent about 90 degrees when it was stored on my boat on the hard when it was caught by the shroud of a passing day sailer being towed to be launched.

Thank you all for contributing and I learned a bit about rod rigging. However I'm still looking for a supplier and any assistance would be appreciated.

Would you please, for the love of God, go to the off topic forum and get enough posts to attach a picture or email one of us a picture so that we can post it here.
No one knows for sure what the heck you are talking about.