Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Knotty...I think he has one of those old foils OVER his wire headstay that had two luff grooves so you could make easy sail changes on the fly. I could be wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.
These were a bit like the current harken carbo foils except with opposing luff grooves and the wire in the middle.
Old 10-16-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Knotty...I think he has one of those old foils OVER his wire headstay that had two luff grooves so you could make easy sail changes on the fly. I could be wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.
These were a bit like the current harken carbo foils except with opposing luff grooves and the wire in the middle.

Cam, you are probably right but until we see a picture of the darn thing we are all just guessing.
It could be a regular furler converted for racing. IE the drum has been removed.
It could be a Tuff Luff but as mentioned that is plastic.
It could be a Stearns or Streamstay but that's not too likely because it's not so easy to get the drums off of those.
A photo would problably answer the question.

More than likely, it's just a furler minus the drum.

edit; Stearns and Streamstays are not split drums.

Last edited by knothead; 10-16-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, did a little research and Streamstay is a furler - with integral drum so probably not that. We had a boat in a local race fleet with a "racing" foil with fore-and-aft grooves so I suspect it's one of those - maybe Hyde produced such a thing at one point, don't know.

A picture would solve that conundrum.. but really, he's looking at a new replacement, most likely, regardless of what it "was".

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2008

va3wmh is on a distinguished road
Forestay picture

Steve;

My apologies for any frustration I've caused and for my in ability to adequately name or describe the type of forestay that has been damaged. I tried to send you a private e-mail but apparently I can not. I can only send the to staff, whoever they are. Also to post image or URL I must have a post count of 10 so again no luck So here is the URL without the normal formating "boatottawa.ca/BPSS/photos/forestay.jpg" is the URL of the best image I have. You can clearly see the forestay has been bent where it is tied to the mast. It is solid metal there is no wire core etc.

Thank you your time. Cheers;
Old 10-18-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3wmh View Post
Steve;

My apologies for any frustration I've caused and for my in ability to adequately name or describe the type of forestay that has been damaged. I tried to send you a private e-mail but apparently I can not. I can only send the to staff, whoever they are. Also to post image or URL I must have a post count of 10 so again no luck So here is the URL without the normal formating "boatottawa.ca/BPSS/photos/forestay.jpg" is the URL of the best image I have. You can clearly see the forestay has been bent where it is tied to the mast. It is solid metal there is no wire core etc.

Thank you your time. Cheers;

I can't seem to make that work. Maybe SD would be so kind as to figure out how to get the photo and then post it here.
How bout it Dog?

You don't need to apologize. It's just that without a picture it is very difficult, if not impossible to give you good info.
BTW, just go to the off topic forum and make a bunch of silly posts in any one of the many silly threads there. Just not the "Rays are for Real" thread. Nothing silly about that one.

Last edited by knothead; 10-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Knothead-

Here's the photo. Hard to see anything, since the end of the foil isn't visible...just the bent center section.

VA-

Post a photo with the end of the foil in it... that is the most important aspect of this..so we can figure out if it is a furler foil over a wire forestay or not.

EDIT: Pix too large

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-18-2008

You're right SD. A picture of either end will solve the mystery. However, I am 90% sure it's a Hyde Stream Stay.
Old 10-18-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
You're right SD. A picture of either end will solve the mystery. However, I am 90% sure it's a Hyde Stream Stay.
Wow - big picture!

Steve - do you know if Hyde made a non furling -, ie straight foil - "streamstay"? This is what I recall seeing on a friends boat.. no forestay inside it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Wow - big picture!

Steve - do you know if Hyde made a non furling -, ie straight foil - "streamstay"? This is what I recall seeing on a friends boat.. no forestay inside it.

You're right, really big picture.

I don't recall every seeing a Streamstay that wasn't designed to be a furler.
There is no reason that someone couldn't have removed the drum and swivel and used it as a simple headstay foil though.
Hyde did make a more traditional furler that was installed over a wire but they didn't really sell too many of them.
Most of them are of the solid variety.
Old 10-19-2008

va3wmh is on a distinguished road
More photos

Thank you for staying with this thread. I've put three more photo's on a web server and the server and directory is "boatottawa.ca/Forestay/" One photo labeled "FootA.jpg" is a picture of the foot of the forestay. It is not furling to the best of my knowledge. The other two photos are of the sail guide. One is called "guideA.jpg" and the other is called guidelogoA.jpg which shows a logo. The top of the forestay looks very much like the foot. There are no other labels or identifying part numbers anywhere on the forestay that I can find. To view the photos just combine the server/directory and the photo name together in the address bar of you browser. These are smaller photos. I hope they can help identify a suitable replacement.

Cheers;