Can we do meralon?
Will triangle base seacocks work?

What are the drawbacks of meralon?

What are the drawbacks of Brass?

Thanks Captain Binky

Old 10-16-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Someone is going to jump on you and say that brass is absolutely not suitable for boat seacocks, but I suspect you mean bronze, a whole different metal, and the only one of the two metals meant for that purpose on a boat.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
No jumping on coming from me. Just read up on this website created by a member here about thru hulls and absorb as much as you can. Then decide and act.
Seacock & Thru-Hull Primer/Pre Information Photo Gallery by Maine Sailing at pbase.com
Replacing Thru-Hulls and Seacocks Photo Gallery by Maine Sailing at pbase.com
My hat is off to others who share their experiences with others and try to help some of the less mechanically inclined not make ALL the mistakes that there are to make.
Thanks Hale Kai, er, Mainesail.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-17-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCaptainBinky View Post
Meralon or Brass
Marelon or Bronze and NOT brass. Either is good but Marelon can be quirky and of course Bronze can corrode..

Quote:
Round or triangle
Does not matter as long as it has a flange that can be bolted or screwed into the backing block.

Quote:
We are going offshore -
Can we do meralon?
Will triangle base seacocks work?
Marelon is fine but it MUST be lubed yearly, which can be a PITA, and they must be exercised regularly. There are many reported failures of Marelon handles due to lack of maintenance/use.. I had three failures early on with Marelon and I was lubing them and exercising them. I'd use them today, I believe they addressed the failure issues, but the company pissed me off so badly and refused to stand behind the product, even with KNOWN defects, that I won't buy any Forespar products if it can be avoided..

Quote:
What are the drawbacks of meralon?
Other than yearly lubing, which requires removing the hose on the inside and using a flux brush to apply a grease to the ball and then lubing the outside in the same manner, nothing. I do believe they have their handle failures under control unless you don't maintain them.

Quote:
What are the drawbacks of Brass?
There are many types of Brass but suffice it to say you should not be able to find a "brass" flanged seacock from any of the big suppliers, Spartan, Buck Algonquin, Groco or Apollo and they will all be bronze if they have a flange.

You do not want to use any brass, unless it's marine rated red brass, bellow the waterline and this includes the fittings and hose barbs associated with the bronze seacock. Most brass these days is yellow brass or cheaper that has a very high zinc content and we all know what happens to a zinc...

You may want to strongly consider a Groco bronze flanged seacock adapter. If a seacock should fail you can replace it in just about any country in about 5 minutes even with the boat in the water..

Someone has already linked to my seacock articles so I won't reapet that here.. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-17-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2008

MeCaptainBinky is on a distinguished road
Yes, I meant Brass - thanks for reading betwen the lines...
Old 10-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You mean you meant BRONZE, right???
Quote:
Yes, I meant Brass - thanks for reading betwen the lines...
BTW, it would help if you said what kind of boat you have. Using BRONZE through-hulls on a steel or aluminum boat can cause serious galvanic corrosion issues that you may or may not want to deal with.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-17-2008

The word brass seems to be stuck in my mind - yes, of course I mean bronze - but I was not aware of the variety of bronze's in use - thanks!

The Vessel is a fiberglass partialy cored hull - thick. 50 feet long, 13 feet wide, 6 foot deep fin keel, skeg rudder with BRONZE seacocks - no brand name. 80's vintage - solid vessel. Want to avoid the $150+ cost per seacock if something else will work - I am going offshore, perhaps Hawaii, Fiji, Australia From US.
Old 10-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Make sure that anything installed in cored areas of the deck are properly potted to prevent the core from delaminating.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-17-2008

Potted, please explain,

What I have done thusfar, is used West Systems and Colodial Silca mix to seal the cored portion at each through hull, I dug into the cored area slightly and then back filled with the West.
Old 10-17-2008
Telstar 28

Binky-

Don't forget to do the same for the fastener holes.

Telstar 28
New England