SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Trickle charger (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/48071-trickle-charger.html)

brak 10-16-2008 11:37 PM

Trickle charger

I just bought Promariner 1.5 maintenance charger. I connected it to all my batteries (total of about 500 amp hours) and it does seem to pull them up to 13.2v, but the charger is really hot. Am I using it with too much battery? Is that normal for chargers to be hot?

Also, can I leave it on for, say, 3 months or should I turn it off sometimes?

sander06 10-17-2008 06:50 AM

With all due respect, try asking the manufacturer...

ProMariner :: Contact Us

;)

brak 10-17-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sander06 (Post 385762)
With all due respect, try asking the manufacturer...

ProMariner :: Contact Us

;)

I already did that, with little effect.

I am interested in opinions or experience of those who use these products.

sailingdog 10-17-2008 11:18 AM

Brak-

Why buy a trickle charger? Why not buy a bigger charger that has a float mode. It would work better, be more versatile and heat up a lot less.

SEMIJim 10-17-2008 11:19 AM

"Warm" is one thing, but "really hot," for anything electronic (other than glow bottles) is usually considered a Bad Thing. I would be suspicious. I would disconnect the thing. I think I'd go looking for a battery maintenance system that didn't run "really hot."

Jim

brak 10-17-2008 01:57 PM

I have a charger with float mode, but it's on a boat and I keep batteries at home this winter. So that's why a trickle charger.
There aren't many choices out there - this Promariner thing seemed on the money but they have no customer service, apparently.

sailboy21 10-17-2008 02:10 PM

Don't leave all your batteries connected!!!! No no no!!! A bad cell in one, or even one just a little more tired out than the rest could damage or destroy them all over the winter. If you are determined to use a trickle charger get one for each battery.. Or if they are near a window get a 1.5 Watt solar panel for each one.

brak 10-17-2008 02:15 PM

These batteries are all the same vintage and they are always connected when on the boat. No reason to do it any differently at home. If I get any bad cells - it's time to replace them all at once, and that's just what I'll do.

I actually ran some numbers and it looks like I may only need to run the charger an hour or two per day. I thinl I will get a timer to control it.

SEMIJim 10-17-2008 02:36 PM

Bad idea, IMO, brak. But it's your property to burn down if you want.

Jim

waltsn 10-17-2008 04:22 PM

Is this the spec for the charger?

"Fully Automatic - Designed to maintain 12 volt batteries up to 250 amp hours
Increase Performance - Precision regulated 13.4 VDC float mode. Can be left on for extended periods without overcharging or damaging batteries. Will not drain battery if AC is removed. LED status indicator. User adjustable for gel's.
Built-in Safety - Reverse polarity protected. Certified to U.L. 1236 Marine."

Id leave it connected to your battery bank for a while longer and see what happens. If its regulated, you should be able to leave it connected and forget about it. Getting very hot should be watched carefully but it may just be that the "little" charger is trying to bring 500 amp hours of battery up to charge (which exceeds the spec) and they may have been low in the first place.

The one thing which I would be slightly worried about is temperature. The charger looks like it may not have temperature compensation and battery charging voltage's are temp sensitive. They need to be lower for high temps, higher for low temps. I would guess however if your batteries are in your garage or similar, no matter how cold a place where you live, you likely wont have a problem.