Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-17-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Sta-Lok or ?

I have no experience with user-installed wire terminals like Sta-Lok, Noresman or others. I have to shorten my running backstays and thought that it would be a good opportunity to learn about these. Does anyone have recommendations about which ones are easiest to use, most reliable - are they basically the same or are there significant differences that I should know about?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like the Hayn HiMods, since they're a bit simpler to use IMHO. They have a crown ring that the wire ends slip into, and it is easier to fit them properly than the StaLocks or Norseman fittings. None of the various brands is all that difficult to use though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-17-2008

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I have no experience with user-installed wire terminals like Sta-Lok, Noresman or others. I have to shorten my running backstays and thought that it would be a good opportunity to learn about these. Does anyone have recommendations about which ones are easiest to use, most reliable - are they basically the same or are there significant differences that I should know about?

Thanks
Sta-Loks are reasonably easy to install and last a long time. If this is running backs you are doing, why not switch to rope for them? Less chafe on the sails, long life, probably cheaper to install then wire. Look at lines like Amsteel.

Paul L
Old 10-17-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post

Thanks

Check out the Suncor quick attach fittings before you make your final decision. Probably the simplest to install and from what I understand, one of the strongest.
Old 10-17-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I already have the wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
Sta-Loks are reasonably easy to install and last a long time. If this is running backs you are doing, why not switch to rope for them? Less chafe on the sails, long life, probably cheaper to install then wire. Look at lines like Amsteel.

Paul L
The wire stays are already there and in virtually new condition. For some reason, the POs of my boat (Bristol 45.5) led the runners through a turning block (not a particuarly good lead at that) and then to secondary cockpit winches. I am going to use tackles for the runners and need to make each about 18" shorter. I might consider Amsteel or something similar for a future update
Old 10-17-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Hi-mods are very easy to install and unlike the other terminals they are completely reusable. I had to buy one Norseman fitting due to a backorder at Hayn... Compared to the hi-mods it was way more complicated to install and had a lesser finish quality to it.

But for running backstays: go synthetic. I have had a set of amsteel stays that have aged quite well. They are easy to splice, very low stretch, and best of all easy to take down and stow bellow.
Old 10-17-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have dacron running backstays and blocks, Bruce, as well as twin wire stays...probably overkill. I also have Sta-Loks all around that are really solid looking.

I think between Sta-Lok, Hayn, and Norseman, it's the rigger that makes the difference, not the terminal. I have rarely heard of one of these terminals failing unless, you know, the wire was falling to bits.

I have heard of Suncor in terms of chain and shackles, not terminals, so can't comment.
Old 10-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're doing the installation yourself, the Hayn HiMod are far simpler to use... the crown ring makes getting the wire seated properly much simpler.

If you're paying a rigger to do it... you're short-changing yourself, since you're not going to have a rigger if the rigging fails out on the water. Also, if you go with the Norseman or StaLoks....carry extra cones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I have dacron running backstays and blocks, Bruce, as well as twin wire stays...probably overkill. I also have Sta-Loks all around that are really solid looking.

I think between Sta-Lok, Hayn, and Norseman, it's the rigger that makes the difference, not the terminal. I have rarely heard of one of these terminals failing unless, you know, the wire was falling to bits.

I have heard of Suncor in terms of chain and shackles, not terminals, so can't comment.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-17-2008

RichP is on a distinguished road
My local rigger recomends Sta-Lok over Norseman for the self fitting, i can't remember the exact reason, but it was something about Norseman having a slight flaw that would let them split in some circumstances or something. I would take that with a pinch of salt because Sta-Loks cost more here and i wouldn't put it past him!

Properly installed both should be ok, and both are easy to fit.

Old 10-17-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I also would recommend Staloc over Norseman if the choice were between the two. I've seen fewer failures with Staloc.
Some of the newer fittings like the Quick Attach are different in that you don't have to unlay the wire when assembling.
As I mentioned in another thread, I haven't had any reason to start using the fittings in my business but if they work as advertized, I can see some real advantages for the do it yourselfer.

I haven't really used the product yet and therefore can't recommend it but if they want to send me a couple, I'll try them out.

Here's a video that shows the fittings and how they are assembled.