Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-18-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
OK - it should be pretty straight forward to mount the aquadrive then.
FYI there is a guy building out a Westsail 42 who went through this process....his site is here: Building a Westsail 42 Sailboat, From a Bare Hull
and pictures of the shaft installation are here: Picasa Web Albums - rl - Building a We...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
An alignment of up to around 4 degrees is apparantly acceptable with aquadrive, some people use it to mount the engine flat.

There is another boat with a 1gm using the standard mounts, but his installation imo has the p-bracket a bit to far aft to use a folding prop. (His is 3 bladed)

The outboard is not acceptable for the boat, the prop regularly cavitates with even a moderate swell, and its a pig to get up and down!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Sorry for the double post, just spotted this, on all the others i have seen, the propshaft passes through the skeg. The bearers are not that steep at all when you see them.
I figured the outboard was problem propulsion-wise

Will it be possible to use a long enough stern tube that your stuffing box gland is not buried within the skeg? Do you have good enough access to solidly mount the strut and cutlass bearing, presumably to the bottom of the skeg? I like Mainesail's idea of mounting the cutlass and "sighting" the propshaft location with a laser pointer.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2008

RichP is on a distinguished road
I certainly don't plan on the stuffing box gland being inside the skeg, its quite a shallow skeg, all things considered. There should be enough length as i have seen an aquadrive installation with a 1gm10 on a boat with less room than this. (Newbridge Corribee).

A possible idea i have for alignment i have just had is to, bolt stainless angle onto the engine bearers, this can be bolted sideways through the bearers, and the top can be drilled and tapped for the mounts when i have the dimensions.
Then place the engine dead centre within the boat and affix something straight (i.e. broom handle that isn't warped) into the gearbox output flange, the engine can be slid back along the bearers until this contacts the hull, this is my stern tube location. (Obviously measure thrice, check twice, cut once!)

I can then bolt the aquadrive onto the engine, and the shaft onto the thrust bearing of the aquadrive and shift everything about until i have the shaft as central as possible and the engine as close to the aquadrive centre of movement as possible. (i.e. if it allows movement 2.5cm in either direction when in the 'middle', as close to that as possible.) the aquadrive can then be solidly mounted in place and the p-bracket location determined.
After this i would again try and align the engine as closely as possible and mark the centres of the mount holes on the angle steel, remove it, drill, tap it. Jobs a good 'un!

Obviously that theory will need tweaking... can anyone see any major problems?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You don't mention a strut/cutlass bearing in your plans... If you're planning to use one (which I'd expect) it seems that that's the angle that's going to dictate where everything else goes.

But having never purchased one, perhaps they're available in a suitable variety of angles.. or perhaps you have something else in mind..

Using SS angle iron to create the appropriately angled and spaced bed for your mounts works well, we've done that before ourselves, esp if the existing beds are good and solid.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2008

RichP is on a distinguished road
Luckily my father has a friend who does a lot of fabricating in stainless steel, and he has agreed to make a P-Bracket to suit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2008

yachtwork is on a distinguished road
Engine change special report

Greetings from New Zealand. I saw your engien change post. Here is an article I did that might help.

Thanks

Yachtwork
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Installation; advice required!-044-edit-tab166-large-.jpg   Engine Installation; advice required!-045-edit-tab166-large-.jpg   Engine Installation; advice required!-046-edit-tab166-large-.jpg   Engine Installation; advice required!-047-edit-tab166-large-.jpg   Engine Installation; advice required!-048-edit-tab166-large-.jpg  

Old 10-18-2008

yachtwork is on a distinguished road
Engine change part 2

Here is the rest of the article. You migh thave to use Ctl + to zoom to read.

Cheers

Scott
Yachtwork
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Installation; advice required!-049-edit-tab166-large-.jpg   Engine Installation; advice required!-050-edit-tab166-large-.jpg   Engine Installation; advice required!-051-edit-tab166-large-.jpg  
Old 10-18-2008
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
engine installation

RichP i have a yanmar 2GM20F in my 30 nimble express with the aquadrive.the constant velocity U joint in the aquadrive allowed the engine to be mounted horizontally, it was installed in 1994 when the boat was built and has never given any trouble. the thrust bearing in the aquadrive is bolted to a 3/8 aluminum plate whjch is bolted to supports in the hull. with this setup i never have to worry about engine alignment. your used aquadrive should have the u joint & bearing checked before installation. this setup allowed the engine to be mounted on soft mounts to eliminate transfer of engine vibration to the hull. i can take a picture of it & post it on an email to you. i have not figured out how to post pictures to this site yet.
EDIT...here it is:
Engine Installation; advice required!-img_0091_2.jpg
Old 10-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Easiest way to post photos to this site is to use an external photo hosting site, like Flickr.com or Photobucket.com, and then link to the photos here. Directions for doing so are located in the POST in my signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
RichP i have a yanmar 20GMF in my 30 nimble express with the aquadrive.the constant velocity U joint in the aquadrive allowed the engine to be mounted horizontally, it was installed in 1994 when the boat was built and has never given any trouble. the thrust bearing in the aquadrive is bolted to a 3/8 aluminum plate whjch is bolted to supports in the hull. with this setup i never have to worry about engine alignment. your used aquadrive should have the u joint & bearing checked before installation. this setup allowed the engine to be mounted on soft mounts to eliminate transfer of engine vibration to the hull. i can take a picture of it & post it on an email to you. i have not figured out how to post pictures to this site yet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.