Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-18-2008
28 foot irwin

diverdad69 is on a distinguished road
rudder issues

hi all, went do to the boat today and was playing around checking things out, as I was examining the rudder it had a bit of play at the bottom, the shaft is held clamped by two bronve halves. and I was able to lift it up about half an inch? is this normal or should i do some work. i also noticed that the bushing on the tiller mount was a bit sloppy too? its prob just a bushing that needs replacing. any imput is helpful thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2008
Marine: Educator,Surveyor

JHJensen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JHJensen
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdad69 View Post
hi all, went do to the boat today and was playing around checking things out, as I was examining the rudder it had a bit of play at the bottom, the shaft is held clamped by two bronve halves. and I was able to lift it up about half an inch? is this normal or should i do some work. i also noticed that the bushing on the tiller mount was a bit sloppy too? its prob just a bushing that needs replacing. any imput is helpful thanks
Hard to give you any advice. What kind of boat, age etc? Was this in the water or on the hard?

I am glad to see that you are paying attention to this. Many don't until it comes apart before they take it apart .....Soooooo a bit more info and maybe I can give some advice.

John
Old 10-18-2008
28 foot irwin

hi John, sorry for leaving details out
its a 28 foot irwin sailboat, 1972 and its on the hard right now for the season
Im a skilled millwright so any repairs I can prob handle myself I just dont have any sailboat experience as this is my first one any further info feel free to ask

thanks
Sean
Old 10-18-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
For a 1972 Irwin, the play you found in the rudder is probably pretty normal. So long as the collar stays attached and doesn't simply slip off, you should be OK. As a millwright, you could fix it, but your time would be better spent doing something more useful like painting the bottom.
Old 10-19-2008

okawbow is on a distinguished road
2 years ago, I noticed slop in the lower pintle of my keel hung rudder. The only way to replace the bronze bearing was to drop the rudder. Instead, I mixed up some metal filled epoxy, and worked it into the pintle bearing around the rudder pin. I wedged the rudder in place, so the pin was in the center of the hole. After the epoxy set, but before it completely hardened, I turned the rudder enough to break it loose from the epoxy. That repair has held in fresh and salt water for 2 years, and 2000 miles, with no noticeable play in the rudder.
Old 10-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by okawb View Post
2 years ago, I noticed slop in the lower pintle of my keel hung rudder. The only way to replace the bronze bearing was to drop the rudder. Instead, I mixed up some metal filled epoxy, and worked it into the pintle bearing around the rudder pin. I wedged the rudder in place, so the pin was in the center of the hole. After the epoxy set, but before it completely hardened, I turned the rudder enough to break it loose from the epoxy. That repair has held in fresh and salt water for 2 years, and 2000 miles, with no noticeable play in the rudder.

If your boat is put together the same way Sean...the advice above will work. On some boats it is not unusual to find a bit of slop in the lower bearing. You can also remove the lower bearing and shim it with a plastic made for the purpose.

A picture of yours would help. what you have may be normal or it could be wear from the years and needs to be attended to. Depends on how much movement there is.

Addtional... Sean I reread your post and see that you are talking about verticle movement. I have seen this in many boats. You will have to lift the rudder up and see how much of the butt of the stock still remains in the "socket" that it rides in. If it is marginal more work required. Also when you lift the rudder what is stopping it from going up more? A) the top of the rudder hitting the hull? B) any kind of stop on the rudder stock in the lazarette under the deck?

If is A) it is probably ok as long as the movement is not more than an 1/8 of and inch or so.

If it is B) you may need to fashion a shim to ride under the deck on top of the collar already there...the wear may also be on the top of the lower bearing that has just worn down over the years. Again a space shim will work as well.

Hope that helps...I know it is kind of long description.

J.

Last edited by JHJensen; 10-19-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Correction to advice
Old 10-19-2008
28 foot irwin

its about 1/2 of an inch vertical travel and the hull is what stops it there must have been a spacer that is missing , i'll take a photo of it tomorrow and post it
Old 10-20-2008
28 foot irwin

here are pictures
looks like there too big to post, if you have an email address i'll be happy to send them to you
Old 10-22-2008

Sean.... Incoming! sent you a PM...
Regards,
John