SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

getting a little head

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gnorbury 
#1 ·
Hi,

Your neighborhood newbie with more questions here. :) I''m gonna start this round off with an obvious statement, followed by an easily guessable question, which I''m hoping someone will have an easy answer for. Here goes...

First, the obvious statement:

Chem toilets suck.

Never would have guessed that one huh?

now for the logical question to follow:

How do I wedge a real marine head in where there''s not too much more room than a chem toilet takes up?

Here''s the details: Josie, my boat, is realy nice. She''d make a great weekender... except that I dont want to use the chem toilet. It smells afterwards. And now that I''m looking at doing extended stuff, it''s become a necessity.

She''s a 20 footer and the layout of the boat is a small cabin, all one room, with a flip up compartment at the base of the v birth which holds a chem toilet. I dont have an enclosed head, and in a boat this size, it would be a.) neigh impossible, and b.) a huge waste of space. so I''d like to see if they make a realy stubby marine head that I could put in there, and maybe a holding bag in a neighboring compartment, and a macerator and so on and so forth. (btw, where does one obtain macerators, sailnet''s store doesnt have them that I could find.)

How massive a project is this? Thoughts? suggestions? thanks :)

-- James

See less See more
#2 ·
If my memory serves me correctly, Raritan has a small head fixture and a separate holding tank molded to fit around the front of the bowl and base. It''s what I have planned to replace a porta-potti with. I picked up literature on it at the Annapolis Sailboat show several years ago. Defender doesn''t show it in their catalog any longer but may be able to special order it. Check them also for macerators if Sailnet can''t provide.

#3 ·
Sealand makes a self-contained unit thats able to make hard connections unless you are going outside the 3 mile limit for a long time you are tradeing one set of problems for another check out the stinky head message in this forumn I have a small holding tank and at ten bucks a pump I would rather have a chem unit to take ashore an dump in the shoreside bathrooms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.