Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-20-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
New chart table setup

I have recently finished a project that I promised someone on another thread I would post some pics of. The pic below is what the chart table looked like before with basically just two cavities above the desk lid and a radar mounted in one of them. The notebook in the right cavity is now inside the chart table.

This is what I have done to it:

Essentially filled the cavities with two panels and mounted the radios in one and a flatscreen monitor and the radar in the other. The monitor is driven by the notebook inside the chart table and a wireless mouse and keyboard allows the charting (and any other computer work) to be managed while still having a paper chart on the desk. When not in use, the keyboard and mouse live on the shelf above the console. Forgive the mics lying on the table - I have yet to install the necessary fixings to locate them better.

I had all the electronics already so this upgrade cost me the sum total of NZ$50 (mostly for the American cherry veneer) and a heap of hours, this is not what I do professionally

I'm quite pleased with the result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nicely done, Andre!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Andre-

Looks very nice. One concern is heat buildup in the two cabinets. Are they ventilated? The LCD monitor may generate enough heat to cause a problem on hotter days, as may the stereo and radios. Also, do you get any interference on the radios from the computer or the LCD monitor??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-20-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Andre-

Looks very nice. One concern is heat buildup in the two cabinets. Are they ventilated? The LCD monitor may generate enough heat to cause a problem on hotter days, as may the stereo and radios. Also, do you get any interference on the radios from the computer or the LCD monitor??
No forced ventilation but there are a few 50mm holes top and bottom where cables go in and out (the holes have to be that big to allow the plugs to pass thru). I haven't noticed any heat build-up as yet and I spent a few hours loading up the computer with all my boat related info (manuals, ownership papers, etc.) Will keep an eye on that. If I need to I'll put a power-supply fan in to cool.

Also haven't noticed any disturbance on the radios. When I had the installations up and running I did radio checks with the local Coastguard (VHF) and with Maritime NZ (SSB) and they said my signals were 5x5. So I reckon that's going to be OK. In truth, the notebook has been used on the chart table since I got the vessel and never affected the radios (see proximity in the "before" pic). The only difference now is the wireless keyboard and mouse but it seems OK.

I'm going sailing with my family this weekend for 3 days so we'll soak-test it and see what happens.

The only "dodgy" thing is the power setup because I have elected to go 110v on the power supply to the notebook and the monitor which means I'm stepping 12v up to 110v then down again to 18.5 and 15 respectively. I've checked current draw on the inverter and it appears to be negligible.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
good enough... just thought i'd mention those points just in case.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-20-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Next project: Shine that lamp up a bit. It looks great in the first pic, no so in the second.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 10-20-2008
Telstar 28

LOL... he forgot to wax it after polishing it the last time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
Next project: Shine that lamp up a bit. It looks great in the first pic, no so in the second.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-20-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Nice job Andre, very professional. Do you have anything under the keyboard to keep it from slipping around while underway?

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-20-2008

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
I would also give it a thumbs up, looks like nice work. My concern would more likely be heat buildup where the notebook itself lives, the monitor and radios should be fine. And frankly notebooks are built to take a lot of heat as well. The thing about heat is it takes a lot to fry things, but increased heat mostly results in a lower life span for electronics. But I don't think you have much to worry about here.
Old 10-20-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Nice work, Andre. I like having two 12 VDC plugs right where you need 'em for charging or lights or what have you.

May I ask how you get power to those 12 VDC plugs? I want to put five or so around the boat (two in the pilothouse: 12 VDC spotlight and charger for GPS/handheld VHF; one in the aft cabin "office"; one in the forepeak "workshop" and one waterproof one on deck for running a handheld GPS for reference as the main plotter will live in the pilothouse only).

I am debating the wisdom of having a single 10 A terminal strip (fused) for all five run directly from the house batteries with three or four separate runs vs. one big loop with all of them essentially on one breaker. There wouldn't be a situation in which they would all be drawing at once.