Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
Ahhhh, got the non skid all done. I really love how it came out. It's really nice to see this boat starting to come together. I will be afraid to sail it because it might get dirty. How many of you guys take your shoes off when sailing to keep the boat clean?

Old 03-15-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Omg!

I began reading this thread a while back and took a lot of interest then, but somewhere got interested in other things. Today, sitting here while its cold and rainy outside, I went back to the beginning of this thread and went through the whole thing up to your last posts. All I can say is Wow!

I just bought a little C&C 25 back in November and haven't done hardly anything compared to you. I'd love to start taking it apart to re-bed the hardware and paint the decks as you have done. I'm afraid if I get started now, I'll never sail it this year.

Great work. I know you'll be very proud of that boat when its done!
Old 03-15-2009
midlife crisis member

Hey thanks guys.

The original non skid is a raised pattern moulded into the gelcoat. I just masked them off, painted them with polyeurathane paint, sprinkled on sand (actually non skid "grit" from the paint store) while the paint was wet, then once the paint dried, another coat of paint. Remove tape and voila! We will see how it wears. It might be hard to clean.

Eric
Old 03-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Looking good...what'd you use for the non-skid??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009
midlife crisis member

SD, see post above yours
Old 03-16-2009
midlife crisis member

I really like how it turned out. We will just need to see how it all wears. I went into this with eyes wide open, knowing full well I am using a paint that is not intended for this purpose. I just needed to see for myself (This always seems to be the case for me). We will see if it's a one, two three or more season paint job. It's a lot of work, but the work is the fun part, so if I need to do it all again next winter, I will have something to keep me busy and happy next winter too.
Old 03-16-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
I
It's a lot of work, but the work is the fun part, so if I need to do it all again next winter, I will have something to keep me busy and happy next winter too.
Dang!

When I need my boat painted I will pay for your trip to Florida and after the painting is done (you can pretty much paint all day every day) I will take you for a cruise.

Such a Deal!!!
Old 03-17-2009

SailingFlorida is on a distinguished road
PAINT IS LOOKING SWEET THUMBS! Lets hope it last a few seasons for all the work you have put into it. Ill be painting the bottom of my boat next once I get some cash freed up. Keep up the good work
Old 03-17-2009
midlife crisis member

Hey, thanks! What the photos hide is all the brush marks. There are plenty
Old 03-17-2009
midlife crisis member

Well, two nice days in a row so I put two coats on the hull. I used the roll and tip method to take care of the roller look. It did that, now it has that brushed on look! Either I didn't thin it enough, it's too cold, I don't know what I am doing, it doesn't work with the poly paint I am using, or all of the above! Anyways the result is still better than the roller look, and hey, let's face it, it's an old boat! No picture today. Too boring. I'll take a pic after the boot stripes are on. Later this week I hope. Then it will on to bedding the deck hardware and fitting the windows.

Eric