Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
The paint is really good. Two seasons so far and it's still on there tight. In fact I took a paint scraper to the non skid in the cockpit because I didn't like the sand on my but and I couldn't scrape the paint off no matter how hard I scraped (Originally I did a coat of paint, then sand out of a salt shaker on the wet paint, then another coat) . The sand did come off but the paint ALL stayed. After the sand came off I did add another coat of beige to even it out.

I used the same paint on the top sides and it's as tough as nails too.

The biggest issue is it's losing some of the gloss and you can see the brush strokes. If I did it again I might spray it on, and I wouldn't add any sand to the non skid.

Eric
Old 08-13-2010
midlife crisis member

I washed her today in preparation for a 8 day cruise, leaving tomorrow. As you can see the paint is pretty good. I have soaped it, scrubbed it with a brush and even pressure washed it. It's stuck on there. Even to waterline was painted with the garage floor poly and it's not even close to coming off.

Eric

Old 08-17-2010

saillover is on a distinguished road
Hey Allthumbs, I hope that your cruise is going great. I am thinking about doing what you did to your boat. I didn't get such a great price on my WD
Schock 26 ft. It cost $2900 and it has a broken rudder and a problem with
the keel. I know you suggested that I sell it but I have been trying to for over a year and no luck...so, I thought if it was in working condition someone
may buy it or at least I can use it. I don't know how to sail yet but want to learn. Did you know about sailing before starting your project. I did read most
of your posts and you know a lot about different things and that helps.
Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2010

Does anyone out there have a Schock? They seem to be pretty rare
even though they are still making them I believe.
Old 08-17-2010
Bristol 29.9

Maverick1958 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Maverick1958
Being in the same boat as you (no pun intended) here are a few thoughts on the subject. My initial time estimate for getting my $800 Helsen 22 ready for the water was 30 to 45 days. I am now approaching 11 months and still not there yet. My initial budget was $200 - $500 it is now around $2,000 and sill not there yet. All I was going to do was put 2 new tires on the trailer and buy a used jib. As of now I have built a new trailer from scratch (love it). I have purchaced a used British Seagull which I had to rebuild (love it). I have stripped off all the old teak and refinished what was salvagable and replaced what wasn't, looks like new (love it). I have replaced the old rub rail with better than new (love it). Cleaned and rebeded the toe rail, repaired EVERY STINKING scratch and ding in the hull, deck, and cabin. Didn't love it made the boat look like poka-a-dots. Stripped all the old wiring out and replaced it. Refurbished the swing keel winch and replaced the wire and fittings. Replaced thru hull's with bronze fittings. made new companion way doors, new table, recovered all cushions, replaced life lines, pulpit, all standing rigging, running rigging, added a bilge pump, vhf. Almost forgot replaced the port lights and seals (holy crap what a job). Painted the hull and deck and put fancy rope work everywhere. All that is left is the bottom job which I will have done and an additional $1200 for new sails. Sometimes I think it would have been better to build a boat from scratch. On the other hand she is turning out to be a very pretty lady. Yes you can get a boat do the minimum necessary to sail her and have a good time. As for myself it started that way then something inside made me go the distance and restore the old gal to her former beauty. You might call it a labor of love (insanity fits too). No doubt some will say will say why did he put that much work in such a small boat but there will be a few who will say now there's a man who loves sailing and his boat, (Damn she's pretty)
Old 08-17-2010

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work and money but I bet it's worth it if
you are able to sail her now. I want that someday. I know it will take a
long time to get the schock in good shape. Especially since I don't know
a lot about sailboats. I will deffinately need help. But, I want to do it and reading the posts on this site has motivated me to try it. What can it hurt?
Old 08-21-2010
midlife crisis member

YouTube - 100_1569.MOV
Old 08-21-2010

skylerdorn is on a distinguished road
that is a gorgous boat. the best of luck to you
Old 08-23-2010

I have a question that I am not sure can be answered without looking at my boat, but it keeps getting water inside the cabin. There is a spot in the cockpit that someone cut a square out and put back together. I think it was
to fix the rudder. I wonder if that is where the water is coming in from. It can be closed right up tight and the water still gets in. I am not sure how to post a picture on here.
Old 08-23-2010
midlife crisis member

There are many places water can get in. Chain plates or leaky cabin ports to name just two. Get in the boat with a flash light next time it rains and look around. Water that gets in from the cockpit area tends to get into the bilge and not the cabin but I am not familiar with your boat.

Eric