SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   My Project Boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/48179-my-project-boat.html)

AllThumbs 10-20-2008 07:26 AM

My Project Boat

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a project boat. A 1973 DS 20. My plan is to fix her up and sail her for a couple years at least. I have a million questions, so rather than start a million threads, I am starting just this one. I plan on ask questions pertaining to the project here, and documenting the project here with plenty of photographs etc.

We will see how it goes. There may be times when little progress is made due to time/weather constraints, and other times where there is a flurry of activities.

I am hoping this thread serves as some motivation to others considering a project boat, and also as log/scrap book of the project.

I have posted this pic in the "buying a boat" area, but here she is again on the day we met. I have since towed her the 120 miles home. More specific pictures related to questions soon.

I paid $750.00 for her, so keep that in mind when you see the project unfold. :)

Eric

AllThumbs 10-20-2008 07:30 AM

I should add that this project will be completed on a budget as much as possible. Hardware store products will be used when ever possible, but "marine store" parts when warrented.

Eric

sailingdog 10-20-2008 07:47 AM

Be careful about using "hardware" store parts on a boat, since many are not suitable for a marine environment and can pose a serious danger if used in one. If you're on freshwater, you're in less danger using hardware store parts, but not completely clear of it IMHO.

mrsadm 10-20-2008 07:54 AM

I don't see a keel. Centerboard?

Oh and GOOD LUCK!

AllThumbs 10-20-2008 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, there is a slotted stub keel and swinging centerboard.

SD, When I refer to hardware store, I mean cosmetic parts (paint, varnish, windows). Structural glass and epoxy, standing rigging, halyards, etc will be marine.

I will be sailing freshwater. For now a small inland lake, future possibly great lakes (ontario, erie).

Eric

sailingdog 10-20-2008 09:24 AM

good enough.... just was checking...

JohnRPollard 10-20-2008 09:29 AM

Hey, congrats on the new boat! She looks like an ideal vessel for your plans and budget.

Enjoy the project, and here's hoping you're out sailing soon enough!

Keep us posted.

bubb2 10-20-2008 09:39 AM

I , 2sd the, Keep us posted.

Perithead 10-20-2008 09:51 AM

Cool thumbs, looks pretty good to me.

What all is there that needs doing? Anything major?

From the picture the paint and all looks pretty good. D

Did it come with a motor?

Leither 10-20-2008 10:39 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase - looking forward to seeing the project progress.

I empathise with your need to keep to a budget. I am in the same position and offer the following advice based on my own experience.

Keep trawling the Internet. I have saved a lot of money by finding special offers or reduced price items and now have a list of suppliers on my Favorites that I use from time to time.

Don't forget Ebay. There is a wealth of marine stuff out there and some of it to be got for a real bargain. You just have to de discriminating and go for well-known brand names if possible.

There are reputable suppliers of used items out there, too. You wouldn't want to buy crucial performance items this way, but other bits and pieces may be fine.

If you have local suppliers, check them out first. They may be able to do a good deal. We have a supplier in Annapolis who often comes up trumps in this respect.

Finally, keep your eyes open for unexpected sources. Our local WalMart has an aisle of assorted (and I do mean assorted!) marine items (dock lines, fenders, electrical parts etc) at very reasonable prices.

Good luck and keep asking them questions!!