Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-20-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Not matching anchor to tackle...?

We're looking at picking up a Rocna 25. We currently have 5/16" chain and Rocna recommends 3/8" chain for this size anchor. I have a significant amount of other stuff I have to buy in prep for leaving, and I really don't want the expense (or weight) of 3/8" chain. Our boat is 40' and weighs about 27,000lbs. We use a manual windlass, and 3/8" would get pretty nasty to pull up on top of a 55lb anchor plus mud and silt. What are the REAL LIFE (not theoretical) repercussions of sticking with 5/16" chain?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...I wouldn't worry about it where you are headed and 5/16 is plenty for your size boat. Next time you swap the chain out...go for HT 5/16 but I would not worry at ALL with 5/16. We cruised for on our 25k lb. (dry weight) Irwin for several years with 5/16 and a 55lb Delta with no issues. I wouldn't want to be lifting a heavier chain and anchor with a manual windlass either. At least with the Rocna...you'll set the FIRST time1
Old 10-20-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
On a practical basis you are likely in very high winds to be somewhat sheltered by land which will also reduce surge.
Windage is the most important factor in determining load and this can also be reduced. You can also increase your holding power by increasing scope, and possibly using two anchors although veering would reduce the effect of this.
8 mm HT has around the same working load as that anchor at around 1000 kg which is close to 5/16. The difference may be in grade of chain. That should be good for 60 knots with a 2x safety factor according to this Anchors Principle & Performance. Thats theory which you don't want. Practice depends on holding and windspeed. Ht chain would match the anchor but your existing stuff should be adequate for all but the most extreme conditions.
Old 10-20-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Sort of on the topic - My new boat is listed at 13000 pounds (dry) and I need to get a new anchor. It seems to me that Deltas get good reviews from everyone who uses them but I am wondering what size to get. We will be sailing up and down the east coast and in the Bahamas. Is the 35lb. model overkill or can I get away with the 22lb?

(and I am imagining I want 5/16 with either)
Old 10-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

Don't worry about it... when you get a chance, replace the chain you've got with 5/16" G43 or G73 chain. This chain is about as strong as 3/8" chain of other types. However, be aware that G43 or G73 needs to be inspected regularly, since it is lighter chain for the given strength.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-20-2008

ANCORALATINA is on a distinguished road
The size (blade surface area) is an important characteristic of your anchor – Holding is related to this surface area, not to the anchor weight.

The size of your chain is another important parameter, but for the same chain size, you can have different safe working loads

But one very important thing is, with an all chain rode, to ALWAYS use a GOOD snubber; an elastic snubber will absorb all high peak loads that will otherwise break your chain.
Old 10-21-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
I met a couple this fall in an anchorage near my home who were cruising on a Cape Dory 36 with the 55lb. rocna anchor and 5/16" HT all-chain rode. While I didn't think to ask them specifically about the chain size vs. anchor size they did go on and on about how much they loved their set-up and how pleased they were with everything.

By the way, he hauls the anchor (I'm NOT KIDDING) by HAND!!! Yes, 55lbs. plus all chain rode plus Rhode Island size pieces of bottom. And, he wasn't big and muscular, just normal middle-aged guy. He inspired me to finally make the plunge to that anchor (for next season) since I haul by hand, too, so I wouldn't worry about hauling it with a windlass even though it's manual.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 10-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Soul-

Did he have a chain pawl on deck??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-21-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Soul - We normally haul by hand too. We have a manual windlass which we sometimes use to break free, but the hauling is done by my wife. It's so much faster than using the windlass
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-21-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Soul-

Did he have a chain pawl on deck??

definitely. I can't imagine not having one.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little