Join Date: Aug 2008
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Well I tried it last night.
I picked up not an H cap, but more of a spear type cap from Second wave here in Seattle.
I can't say it was a huge gain, but it was better.
I had been thinking about fabbing up a shield too, so I grabbed some scrap sheet metal and made a round shield that sits about 1/2" around the DP cap and extends 1" above and below. I put that cap back on and it did work better but I was still getting a flame that was unhappy. It was not a flame that went up, but more of a confused flame. The shield is not pretty, but did the job as an experiment.
The guy at Second Wave uses a solid stove. He said I might not have enough fresh air coming in. After testing various ports I couldn't say that helped any.
Then, I found a fix!
My stove has an ash tray below the fire box. The base of the fire box has holes for incoming air. The idea was the air travels through a channel and into the ash tray, then up into the fire box and up the flue. The ash tray is held in place by a single wing nut. By simply loosening the wing nut I was able to get more incoming air and a nice flame.
As you probably know we had 43mph winds here in Seattle and I had no back drafts! The shield for the DP round cap made a huge difference, but more incoming air was paramount.
I hope this is of some use for others in the future.