Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-05-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Does the phrase "mailicious prosecution" and the concept of "disbarrment" sound relevant?

There are people who use the threat of suits as a business tool, and sadly a number of attorneys (I don't know this one or infer anything about him/her) who go along with the process. When a court can be sure the purpose of the suit was improper--they sometimes get disbarred.

Meanwhile, you can still be out the cost of hiring your own attorney and traveling to the court where the process has been brought. Personally, I think disemboweling would be more fitting than disbarrment. If nothing else, it would sell primetime on FOX.

If a guy had to REDO a job...I would think that was prima facie evidence that there was something less than satisfactory about the way it was done the first time 'round. But, then again, I'm the guy who thinks disemboweling crooked attorneys is proper, too. (shrug)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I just had him do a project on my boat. I also selected him based on all the raving reviews on his site and presumably high ethics. Unfortunately, the work was performed poorly, he ended up redoing the job. However he is charging me twice (for the initial poor work and for the repair). The final result is still marginal. I also certainly did not appreciate working with him as a professional. He has a short temper, extremely difficult to communicate with, does not listen to the customer, is not particularly honest and in general is an archetypal bad contractor. I will certainly not retain his services again. YMMV.

For all those interested, I do plan to post our email communication as well as pictures of his work to a web site, when I get the time, to provide some background.
Wow...you had this kind of experience and he isn't taking care of you OR coming on here to dispute your version of events and instead hires a lawyer to threaten you? I sure would not do any business with this guy!
I guess I will need to hear from his lawyer too but since I am just expressing an opinion I think he will have a hard time getting me to delete my post. Maybe Daniel Goldberg or MaxOn or some of the other lawyers on here would care to quote Braks post and give us their thoughts on this type of behavior? My guess is that they would be well able to defend themselves from such strong arm tactics.
If Mr. Solomon has a case to make, he should make it personally and HERE or this lawyer intimidation tactic will REALLY blow up in his face with thousands of sailors and the Streisand effect.
Old 02-05-2009

Annapsurveyor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Annapsurveyor
Hey Brak, I saw your boat when Tommy was working on it and his repair sure looked a lot better then the rest of the decks. I called Tommy and asked him what the deal is and he said you didnít like getting charged for the additional work you ordered. I donít think it is wise to slander someone when they did a good job of repairing something that was badly broken in the first place. I believe you didnít like the gelcoat match and the slick area pattern that was matched to the original factory pattern. He did return on your request and did it again in a different way than originally requested. It is very hard to match old crazed and porous gelcoat that is half worn thru to the glass. I think you should apologize to him for sending out misleading information. I think your complaint is that your wife looked at it and said the color is off, you only saw photos that were taken from under a tarp. I was told you never saw it yourself, so what are you complaining about? I saw it and it looked good! He said he ask to meet with you several times to make sure you were happy with the work and you never would go and look at it with him. Why would you put out misinformation about him? I donít think that is a nice thing to do. I have known Tommy for many years and have never heard a complaint about his work.
Old 02-05-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I'd rate rebuilding a spade rudder as one of the easier fiberglass jobs. I just split the rudder on my Etap 26 this past weekend using a dremel with plastic cutting abrasive blade. That took about 20 minutes. I split it apart using a pry bar and some screwdrivers, then dug out the old foam. I bouught a $50 Makita grinder with a diamond wheel and it made short work of cutting away the fiberglass holding the rudder post to one side of the rudder. About an hour of work and I am ready to glass everything back together, once I get the shaft corrosion fixed. I'm just going to glass it back the same way it was. Held for 25 years, will be good for another 25. When I put the other side on I'm going to do it the same way the factory did. Butter up the two halves with thickened resin and press them together. Since my rudder split at the top I'm going to add a glass tape all the way around the outside edge. I once did a Hunter 27 rudder the same way, after I straightened the shaft. If you can't do the glass work yourself, consider doing the grunt work of taking it apart. Then take the shaft to a welder to fix or replace, and let a glass guy put it back together.
Old 02-05-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Dear Annapsurveyor, you seem to be oddly involved in the matter though your description is factually incorrect in so many respects. Welcome to the board, btw - I see that this is your first post.

I do wonder, however, why were you on my boat without my permission? I do not know you, and I did not order any surveyor services, as I am quite happy with the survey of my boat that I already have. I think that entering someone else's vessel without their permission is trespassing (and certainly is not a nice thing to do and something you probably should not advertise).
Old 02-05-2009

I was there when Tom was working on the boat and saw it in progress.
Old 02-05-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annapsurveyor View Post
I was there when Tom was working on the boat and saw it in progress.
Why would you be there? I did not authorize anyone but mr. Solomon to enter my boat (and that only for the purpose of necessary repair work). He did not mention you during the time the work was performed. A contractor does not have a right to invite random people aboard without owners permission, be they a "surveyor" or a Pope, for that matter. It is my boat and I alone get to decide who comes aboard and when.

If I were a suing kind of person, I'd run real fast to "my attorney" right now. As it stands, I just hope you were wearing clean shoes with soft soles while visiting, did not break anything of value and that you will refrain from trespassing on boats without owner permission in the future. I am sure your customers will appreciate that too.

To everyone else - my apologies for hijacking this topic, but this is either too funny or too sad, depending on how you look at it.
Old 02-05-2009

Brak, it is not uncommon when you know a person working on a boat to stop by and say hello. I was not onboard your but i was able to see the repairs from standing on the ladder. I dont think it is nice to try and put me on the defence when a am just saying I have never heard any bad comments about Tommy. I hope you both can work this out. Steve
Old 02-05-2009

okawbow is on a distinguished road
smell something funny?

I don't think this forum is a good place to air grievences OR make rather anonymous inferences on either side. One mans' ok work is another mans' disaster. Let the buyer beware!
Old 02-05-2009

Sorry to all to have disrupted this post. I used to own a fiberglass repair service and have completed many rudder repairs. If anyone has piticular questions i am free to help answer them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.