Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-05-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annapsurveyor View Post
Brak, it is not uncommon when you know a person working on a boat to stop by and say hello. I was not onboard your but i was able to see the repairs from standing on the ladder. I dont think it is nice to try and put me on the defence when a am just saying I have never heard any bad comments about Tommy. I hope you both can work this out. Steve
It would not be possible to view the repair area from the ladder for a number of reasons (including ladder position and the fact that mr. Solomon did not remove the tarp cover from my boat while performing the work, in spite of our initial agreement that he will do so).
So, either you did not see the repair, you did board my boat or you are not exactly who you represent yourself to be.

There is nothing to work out - I paid mr. Solomon promptly and in full according to what he billed me for both initial work and the re-repair. That concludes our business per se. This is, however, still a free country and I should have a right to express my personal opinion, especially when it is supported by variety of documents and facts.

This will be the last reply on my part on this topic.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2009

CanAm800 is on a distinguished road
Gene, well . . . I guess between the reverse physiology and the bait tossed out one or two post after you, here I am. Let’s see, we should start from the beginning, shall we? Two years ago, I did a bunch of glass work to your boat, and you thanked me up one side, and down the other. I worked around your schedule and you had nothing but kind words. Thank you!

Let’s fast forward to the fall of 08. You called and asked if I could take a look at some work you had. Not a rudder as this post indicates, rather a mast base with hair line cracks. When I arrived at boat, you needed to go to lunch. So you did, and I returned. Upon your return, you and I looked over this mast base area and explained I would need to go below and look up from the inside. We did pull back a few panels and could feel uncured resin (tacky) from a previous repair. See the vintage of your boat, I would expect all resins to have cured by this time. I did suggest we do (destructive testing) to investigate further why this area was as lively as she was.

You asked the additional cost for destructive testing indicating roughly 6 to 8 hours. Immediately you shook your head, stating “I just want the cracks fixed – I’m past my budget now” turned and walked away. Obligated as a professional, it is my duty to inform you of the down fall of anything that may arise from not doing a destructive test. I am unable to make suggestions on things I cannot see Gene, do you understand this? This being the case, we went topside. Mast base was clearly exhibiting sign of movement. It was also clear in about 2 seconds that the rigging was not tuned properly. Anyone with no knowledge could see this base was very lively at one point in its life thus reflecting damage as she has.

When I described the repair, you and I sat down discussing how, who, and what! All the nuts and bolts of what was to be expected! You agreed, I agreed. Seeing has how I had a good relationship with you prior, I waved any retainer or even a signed contract, I trusted you! So then, you have pictures sent to you via e-mail never ever seeing the finished job, first hand!! In fact, as I post this you have still not looked at the finished job or even laid a foot on the boat!

At first it was the factory separation pattern you complained about along the mast base. As per our conversation, I would make the repair to look like factory….and I did. Then after seeing the pictures, you wanted that 1 inch spread feathered out to 4 inches. And I did that, too! Without looking at the books, I do know I invoiced you for the additional time, minus 40%! The trigger in all this was the color match to the gel-coat. Gene, I can do wonders with a bottle of pigment and a few rags, but your gel on this boat is so far in neglect, it’s a wonder you even have any left. However, I did as per protocol, wet sand back to good gel I found on a hatch base, and make the exact color! When spraying gel, heating, wet sanding, etc, it looked fine on the hue and shade part of the color. The issue is, when you have NEW gel next to OLD gel, regardless of an exact pigment match, you will always see a difference as one is NEW, the other OLD!

Its also note worthy for your readers and sympathizers to know, I also ask you on 3 separate occasions to join me in a walk around. Two times you ignored me, the 3rd time you said “NO”! If you are un-willing to make a step in a direction of your complaint, why then would you not assist me? And to slander me, this is unacceptable Gene. Just because you may be lacking in funds or having personal issues, please do not take it out on me. You are displaying vicious behavior leading me to ponder a deeper agenda you may have. Nefarious in nature or not, it’s a complete opposite than the good relationship we once had.

So once again, I will appeal to your better judgment for all to see, “would you like me to do a walk around, with you, when you see the job for the first time”?

Please, to all, accept my apologies for responding to what I feel is useless destructive bantering. I will not subscribe or continue to display my thoughts on this issue, further! However, if anyone should want to discuss things like functional adults in a gentlemanly manner, you know how I can be reached. Thank you, and be well to all.

Tommy

Last edited by CanAm800; 02-08-2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2009

Please excuse me, I am Tommy for anyone wondering of CanAm800.

And Gene, if you need pictures of tarp pull back from cabin top, I have about 11 if you are interested.

Regards, Tommy

Last edited by CanAm800; 02-08-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-05-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm800 View Post
Gene, well . . . I guess between the reverse physiology and the bait tossed out one or two post after you, here I am. Letís see, we should start from the beginning, shall we? Two years ago, I did a bunch of glass work to your boat, and you thanked me up one side, and down the other. I worked around your schedule and you had nothing but kind words. Thank you!
This has just gotten weird. ;(

Mr. Solomon, if this is you - I never hired you prior to this repair work, and you performed no other work on my boat previously. The only fiberglass work ever done to my boat before this one (during the time that I own her anyway) is a thru-hull that was removed and glassed over, and that was certainly not done by you (I have receipts and I certainly know who works on my boat, or at least I thought so until now).

Isn't this trivial to verify? If I hired you - what work did you do? Where is the payment?

Life is stranger than fiction.
Old 02-05-2009

Annapsurveyor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Annapsurveyor
Here is a link if anyone wants it for new rudders www .newrudders.com there is also www .rudderrebuilders.com
Old 02-05-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CanAm...now THAT is how to respond...not with lawyers.
Old 02-06-2009

Gene (brak), you first contacted me on 7/16/2007, 5:11 PM. Our last correspondence in this time frame was 9/12/2007, 10:40 AM with a total of 11 e-mails between us. If you desire, it would be extremely gratifying for me to forward e-mails to you or anyone else! Now that you have made this a public issue rather than working things out off-air as I suggested among gentlemen, I would assume all bets are off the table to right your wrong in your inflammatory remarks as we discussed in private?

Also, I have a file on all customers with pictures for my benefit and would be happy to post, that is if you do not mind. I am referring to our business transactions from 2007 glass repairs and 2008 repairs.

You should also remember the forward hatch. You had some things in 2007 going on with forward deck hatch you ask me about. I could have raked you over the coals and turning this into a retirement project for me. Yet made a few adjustments adding a little poly sulfide caulk, and was finished in about 6 minutes. I have pictures of this if you need them as well.

Then for 2008, you first contacted me on 10/14/2008, 3:41 PM. The last one for this period would be 12/22/08, 12:03 PM bringing our total to 46 e-mails between us for 2008 time period. I have the mast step base picture which I drew for you when you ordered the “change order” from factory lines to a 4 inch swath. I too have all my pictures including tarp pulled back demanding you have them, all of them.

In closing Gene, it’s a sad state of affairs when a man slanders the hell out of another for no just cause. Looking back on 2007, I saved you a lot of money by redirecting your energies to the things that needed repaired, only!!! If you recollect, you had me around that boat for 2 hours asking “what should we do here, should I do this”, going on and on, and on, again! But as it was, I kept things to a dull roar so your money would take you further than your imagination. As a professional, this is another part of my duty Gene. I take great pride in what I do in my trade, and many know this.

I know I did say I would not respond further, but a little red wine, Scuola Toscana, 2004….I just couldn’t resist. Hell, who knows, one more glass and I may say I still like you! Besides, in 900 years no ones going to give a damn anyway! Good night Gene, and the “walk around” offer is still on the table. Be well! Tommy

Last edited by CanAm800; 02-06-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
CanAm...now THAT is how to respond...not with lawyers.
Thank you Mr. Camaraderie who ever you are. Its nice to be thanked for something here!
Be well! Tommy
Old 02-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CanAm800—

Welcome to sailnet. I would recommend you and Annapsurveyor read the full disclosure thread for marine industry people located HERE. It is nice to see someone who responds without immediately resorting to threats of litigation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm800 View Post
Gene (brak), you first contacted me on 7/16/2007, 5:11 PM. Our last correspondence in this time frame was 9/12/2007, 10:40 AM with a total of 11 e-mails between us. If you desire, it would be extremely gratifying for me to forward e-mails to you or anyone else! Now that you have made this a public issue rather than working things out off-air as I suggested among gentlemen, I would assume all bets are off the table to right your wrong in your inflammatory remarks as we discussed in private?

Also, I have a file on all customers with pictures for my benefit and would be happy to post, that is if you do not mind. I am referring to our business transactions from 2007 glass repairs and 2008 repairs.

You should also remember the forward hatch. You had some things in 2007 going on with forward deck hatch you ask me about. I could have raked you over the coals and turning this into a retirement project for me. Yet made a few adjustments adding a little poly sulfide caulk, and was finished in about 6 minutes. I have pictures of this if you need them as well.
Mr. Solomon, this claim is a total fiction. I spoke with you around that time about a number of projects but did not hire you to perform any work whatsoever.

I happen to have all my email correspondence with you from 2007 as well I reviewed it just in case my memory is failing me. Here is my last message to you (Sept. 12th, 2007):

Quote:
Tommy,

I got the guy at the yard to do the thru-hull (I wasn't sure how your time
stacks up and he offered to do it same day).

Sorry for the run-around, but I didn't know how your availability is and
I really wanted to get the boat launched. I'll try to talk to you again about
the anchor locker.

Thank you!
There is no further email and I did the work on my anchor locker myself later that year.

Feel free to post receipts, work orders or photographs of work that you claim you performed - I would be very curious to see what that may be

I suspect that some of the other "positive customer testimonials" you have may be based on the similar work that you did not perform.

Last edited by brak; 02-06-2009 at 11:00 AM.