Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-22-2008

cruiserdave is on a distinguished road
KISS Wind Generator

Has anyone used the KISS wind generator? How's the noise level and tthe output. We are only going on a year's cruise and would like to keep the batteries "topped" up using wind. Regular charging with the engine (motor?) can bring the batteries up to 90% or so. Read the wind/solar post til eyes got blurry..........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't have one...but know several sailors who do. The KISS is generally fairly well regarded and the simplicity of the system, which was designed by a cruising sailor IIRC, makes maintaining it a bit easier.

Generally, you should have both solar and wind to help keep the batteries fully charged... what kind of boat is it??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
KISS is excellent. A good choice for a one year cruise. I like the 4winds best but it is pricier and you won't get the payback in one year.
Old 10-23-2008

DonofPaw is on a distinguished road
all the reading I have done on the KISS system seems to imply the unit is great
Old 10-23-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I've had one for four years. Works very well and a simple design. I've also got a Windbugger but the KISS is much superior. Talk to John at Hotwire. The Fourwinds is also a good unit but customer service is not one of their strong points and I recently heard that they were out of business but that might be a rumour. Contact Information - Fourwinds Enterprises
Hotwire's Home Page
Hotwire's Home Page

Last edited by Vasco; 10-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2008

cruiserdave is on a distinguished road
Boat Type

SailingDog,

Boat is a 1986 O'Day 35. Thanks so far to all replies. So far positive. Yes, we are attracted to the KISS for the price and simiplicity. Solar is an expensive addition for a years cruise. We are refitting the boat i.e. new standing and running rig, new elec, new plumbing, repair gelcoat, new mainsail....you know an older boat! Many more questions will appear from us as the project continues. Departure date June 15, 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Cruiserdave,

I don't have solar either. Way too expensive for 3 100w panels and a regulator. I opted instead for a Honda EU2000i and use that a few times a season when the wind disappears in the Bahamas. The Honda was the same price as one solar panel.

beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group
beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group.

Old 01-17-2009
whatoo

whatoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to whatoo
I've been told that the Kiss berings can be purchased at the auto parts store? Can the generator, itself be purchased at the auto parts store, also?
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While the KISS is based on an automotive alternator for its design, no they can not be purchased at an autoparts store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatoo View Post
I've been told that the Kiss berings can be purchased at the auto parts store? Can the generator, itself be purchased at the auto parts store, also?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-13-2011

navion is on a distinguished road
KISS Wind

Practical Sailor did a comparison on wind generators and although KISS did well, the overall winner was the new Air Breeze. I helped a guy in the marina install his new KISS, and with all the add on stuff required, it turned out to be a big project. He needed to add a rectifier, charge controller to the system. The Air Breeze has all that built into the unit. I have an Air Breeze, so was interested in the comparisons. As for noise, they appear to be about equal. In power output, the Breeze did better than the Kiss.