SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   My first pull out. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/48281-my-first-pull-out.html)

1stBoat 10-24-2008 12:51 PM

My first pull out.

Bought a 1985 25.5 Hunter. It is my first boat. Not sure when it was pulled or painted last, but there is a lot ecosystem up to the waterline. Looking for steps to scraping, sanding, and painting. Time and cost would be useful. Any websites or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Mike.

bubb2 10-24-2008 01:04 PM

Does the boat have paint on it now. If yes What Kind? If No, how much build up. A pressure washing goes a long way. If the boat greatly fouled (after power washing) check into soda blasting. Painting you can do yourself and save yourself some money.

wchevron 10-24-2008 01:11 PM

i second the soda blasting if you want to get it down to the gelcoat. i had it done last year. about $1500 for a 30' boat. definitely try the power washing first. you may only need to do that and a little sanding. you won't really know until you pull it out.

sailingdog 10-24-2008 01:17 PM

If you're planning on keeping this boat a while, it might make sense to sodablast it down to the gelcoat—which is one of the fastest, easiest and safest ways to clear off all the bottom paint—and then barrier coat the bottom and then paint it with a few layers of ablative paint. Do the base coat of ablative in a different color than the later layers, so you can see when it is time to touch it up.

sailingfool 10-24-2008 01:24 PM

Have someone pressure wash it clean, rent a unit if you have to do the job yourself. (If you do it yourself, try to do it at night so the EPA doesn't catch you...). Take any barnacles off with a house paint scraper.

Sand with 80 grit to get a reasonably fair bottom of well attached paint.

Then finish final preparation according to the instructions of the bottom paint you intend to use. Figure out what paint is on the boat and ensure the new stuff is compatible. If you need specific help call Interlux help line and play the dummy and they will answer every question that you may have.

yachtpaint.com - the website of International and Interlux paints

T34C 10-24-2008 01:37 PM

First things first. This is your first HAUL OUT. A "pull out" is a completely different kettle of fish. Not sure when it was pulled or painted last... I assume this means there is bottom paint on the boat now. Do you know what kind? Do you know if the boat already had a barrier coat done by the previous owner? If you can't answer "yes" to both of the above questions, can you contact the PO and ask? I would recommend at least trying to get those answers before going further into this.

Pressure washing should take care of most of the growth. Check on costs of having the boat yard do it if the EPA issue is a problem in your area. (I'm guessing it is.)

lynn1120 10-24-2008 02:18 PM

re haul out

Be prepared to feel ill and nauseous when the boat is in the slings and being moved out of the water--It is not just because you are new at this or the boat is new to you-- we all feel that way, every single time....:o

and it is not just the cost of the haul that casues the illness:cool:

welcome to the sailing fraternity

Matt Galo 10-24-2008 02:32 PM

If your boat is near Baltimore, then you might not have too many barnacle problems. Otherwise the pressure washer is the first place to start.

What I've found helpful, if it's pretty clean in the first place, is using a drywall sander. Basically a long stick with a swivel head that holds the sanding medium. Which is like a gritty screen. Any hardware store will have them. Then you just wet sand either with a water hose or a bucket of water. The best part about it is no dust!

1stBoat 10-24-2008 03:00 PM

How to tell what type of paint?

What a network! Thanks for all the responses. What seems most important is to see what type of paint is on there. I'm not in contact with the previous owner. How can I tell what type of paint is on her? And I'm guessing I want to stick to the same sort of paint? Hoping I don't have to go down to the gel-coat. There is paint and it is covered with about 1 1/2" of sealife at the water-line to as far down as I can see.
Thanks.

sailingfool 10-24-2008 06:58 PM

After its all cleaned up, call the 800 number I gave you, play dumb, and they will help you figure out want paint is on there. One way or another, you want to apply an ablative paint - if you have something not compatible with an ablative, you need to remove all of it...I'm not sure there is anything such...or not.