Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
As a 32' ketch rig, I would think the main would be relatively small and easy to handle, obviating the need for furling.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The sails on a 32' boat, no matter the rig, aren't all that big... why add the complexity if it isn't absolutely necessary??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2008

PilotAlso is on a distinguished road
LOL,

Yup my windlass up on the top of the mast.

That's what I get for trying to answer quick before heading out to the Badger game. (can't believe they actually won)

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the horrible failure mode that some on here say is inevitable.

You guys have to remember that not everyone cares if they squeeze every last ounce of performance out of their boats.

Frankly I don't understand why anyone wishing to go fast would pick sailing a cruising boat as their means of doing so. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE!

When I want to go fast I take our race car to the track or I head out in the airplane. Certainly I don't think about heading out and making 6-7 knots in the boat while working my ass off to maybe get an extra knot or two.

The boat is for relaxation and slow travel.

Last edited by PilotAlso; 10-25-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2008

PilotAlso is on a distinguished road
why not add the convenience?

My counter would be why not add the convenience if you want it.

It sure makes my life simpler on the water.

IMHO the claims of horrible failures and performance loss are way overstated.
Old 10-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Ultimately, the OP can indeed do what they want...the question is whether it's worth it. On that small a boat it does seem to be overkill.

As for speed; in light air, I would like to make some headway. In heavy air, the performance issue becomes much less
Old 10-26-2008

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies, lots of things to think about, My thoughts with going with something like this would be to make it easier to single hand. My current setup is almost 30 years old and to get it up to par is going to be a fairly big financial hit, so I was just thinking that maybe this would be the time to do it. I guess I need to do a cost analysis and see what will cost what. Again thanks for your replies.

David
Old 10-31-2013

captainwen is on a distinguished road
Famet - Behind the mast roller furling

I recently installed a behind the mast Famet Roller furler on my 39 ft 1976 Pearson sloop. I've sailed this boat for 20 yrs , before this an ODay 28 for many years. I replaced my fully battened main with a new 8.8 oz vertically battened furling main. The installation took me over a week . I ordered the furling system from Famet and it was delivered COD to my garage. Famet guys were great on phone with a few questions I had as installation proceeded. It works perfectly. I cannot image it fouling or malfunctioning as the Famet is a simple , primitive and bullet proof furler , fool proof and bearingless. I've had one on the bow for twenty years of impeccable performance.
The sail roach (5 inch ) is supported by three quarter length vertical battens slipped into pockets before loading sail. The sail is then hoisted with an internal steel wire halyard so mast halyard for fouling etc is not used , the Famet uses its own halyard inside a groove on extrusion. Genius!
I have sailed the boat now several times in differing conditions and cannot say I have noticed any difference in sailing characteristics. My concern that I would not be able to flatten sail for close haul was allayed on my first sail when I put the out haul on my winch and flattened the sail while loaded until it looked flatter than my traditional main. My second fear was sail shape and feel but I was very surprised at how well the sail performed. The third major concern was the reefing and storage and distance between mast and furled stay? I was delighted to see the reefing was near instantaneous and the reefed sail did well at all reductions . The sail furler easily and very neatly and tight to the extrusion so the cloth was no where near the mast where it would chafe in a sea when furled.
The sail was covered with a white UV sailcloth sacrificial so the roach would not be too heavy . If I had it to do over I would have gone with 9 + oz. cloth as the sail furls so close and neatly that my concern for the furled sail rubbing on mast was not reasonable. The gear was silent, made no noise under all points of sail .
The foot of my main is near 16 ft and the max hoist is about 40ft. If you read the follow at a moderate rate it will approximate the time needed to furl or deploy the main.
One, Two , Three , Four, Five, Six. Done
No lazy jacks a fouling, no battens a fouling, no sail covers a slapping, no sail a whacking , no hollering for the sail ties , no slipping and a sliding in the gale and spindrift . No main halyard a banging.
How many times have you not put your main up because you didn't want to wrestle it up there and how many times after raising it did you have to dump it as the wind died ten minutes later... Only to return again five minutes after dumping it. I will sail my main now ten times more than my traditional simply because I will no longer be considering the amount of time and effort it takes to raise the traditional beast.