Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-27-2008

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
About those Engine Zincs

I'm trying to get to know my Vetus 3.10 diesel engine..reading the very multi-language manuals, reading Calder's book playing with parts etc.

I keep reading about how zincs in marine diesel engines, and from what I can tell, my Vetus has none? Can I be wrong? It would seem like such an important part any ferrous part that is near saltwater?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2008
Marine: Educator,Surveyor

JHJensen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JHJensen
Enigine zincs (anodes)

[QUOTE=preservedkillick;391024]I'm trying to get to know my Vetus 3.10 diesel engine..reading the very multi-language manuals, reading Calder's book playing with parts etc.

I keep reading about how zincs in marine diesel engines, and from what I can tell, my Vetus has none? Can I be wrong? It would seem like such an important part any ferrous part that is near saltwater?[/QUOTE]

PK,

I looked at your photographs. Very nice restoration! Did you do the work yourself? On of my favorite classic boats!

To answer your question. I have not worked on your engine type, but a quick google search came up up with a boat that had one. It would appear that your engine is a Mitsubishi engine block and is fresh water cooled based on the that site.

Is your engine original or an upgrade? I looked at the Vetus website and could not find that model. Also is it fresh water cooled (antifreeze in the block cooled via heat exchanger with raw water)? If not it is probably not an issue.

The zinc (if there is one) would be in the heat exchanger in the raw water (salt water) leg. It is there to protect the HE from galvanic corriosion. Now the fun part! You will have to look at your HE and look for what looks like a drain plug on your HE. It may be painted but should look like a brass plug. If you are real lucky you may find the remains of a label. Back it out and see if you have one, there will either be an anode or the remains of one.

Your HE may also have covers on the ends which are removable for inspection of the tubes. If you remove them, on the end where your raw water is injected you may be able to see the inside end of the plug that carries the zinc or the remains of the zinc in this area. With both covers removed you will be able to see through the tubes and see and blockage. Depending on the age of your engine this is not a bad thing to check since you.

To find the zinc trace the hose from your seawater pump to the the HE and look around that end of your HE.

Many newer engines such such as some Yanmars etc. do not have anodes in their raw water circuit because of advances in construction and coatings to prevent corrosion.

Hope that helps.

Again nice boat!

J

Last edited by JHJensen; 10-27-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2008

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Thanks J,

The engine is a replacement and was installed about 10 years ago. It's fresh water cooled so perhaps it's ok without a zinc? I've found the heat exchanger, but have not removed it yet to inspect or clean. That drain plug for the coolant is easy to get to, but it would be very difficult to get a container under it to capture the coolant. It's on my list of things to do. Now I'm more curious to see if I'll find a zinc in there. I've just finished re-wiring the engine & batteries and to my delight the engine started right up!

Thanks for taking the time to research Vetus. I've heard it's an ok engine, but the manuals are clearly translations from dutch and are quite crude.

And thanks for looking at my pictures! Yes I've done all the work. We started last November replacing a few hatches, then figured I'd remove & rebed all hardware, then since the hardware was off, overdrilled & epoxied the holes, then since I had everything off I might as well paint. Then, it seemed like I should repaint the interior since the outside looked so nice. And of course the wiring needed upgrading.

-Jeff

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30: